Chapter Twelve

The drive back to the hotel to drop off Malia was mostly silent

The drive back to the hotel to drop off Malia was mostly silent. Rayden chose not to come along, which didn't bother me in the least.

Talking to her right now is the last thing I want to do. It's as if every word that escapes her lips just fuels my anger. I'm struggling to keep from losing my temper with my own wife.

How could she keep something like that from me for so long? And what she said to Malia was just plain wrong on so many levels. It was immature, but then again, what could I have expected from an 18-year-old Rayden? She was always prone to childish behavior. Honestly, even now as an adult, she can still be quite childish at times.

But I'm so used to it. Knowing her my entire life, it became something that was like a charm to me. But what she said... should have never been uttered out of her mouth, to anyone.

When I first came back from the agency, sleeping with her while she was still in a relationship with Chelsea was selfish of me. I felt terrible for it, but for the most part, I didn't get to experience that guilt of being a homewrecker at the time.

I got to spend a short amount of time with the women I loved, just to be pulled back to the agency that ripped me from my life in the first place. Just to be hit into a coma and woke up months later with twins.

I had to get over everything that happened fast to become a mother. I didn't have time to think about anyone else but my family. Plus, bout time I woke up, Chelsea was already in another relationship when I got to finally apologize for what happened.

But she was over it, and we moved past it. I think she's married with a second little boy on the way now, but I don't talk to her. Mostly just comments on social media under pictures of our kids is the most communication we have.

I grip the steering wheel, thinking about everything that has happened, and looking straight ahead as we listen to music.

"I..." we say in unison, and both slightly laugh. I can tell hers isn't the same playful Malia laughter from the past, the kind that used to light up her eyes. She's changed a lot. We both have.

"Go ahead," she whispers.

"I was just going to say I'm sorry for how Rayden has been acting. I do not agree with her behavior, and she knows that."

"Yeah, there seem to be lots of tension there." Her gaze meets mine and I slowly nod.

"There is," I say truthfully. "I was not aware of anything that happened between you two." She remains silent, gazing out of the window. "Malia, you have to believe me. I didn't know. If I had known, I would have..."

"Looked for me?" she questions, not removing her sight from the trees next to her. "Try to contact me? Find me?"

"Malia," I said softly, reaching for her hand, but she quickly removed it from mine.

Her eyes flicker to the floorboard, her feet shifting uneasily beneath her. "It wouldn't have made a difference. I didn't want to be found."

"I looked." My voice cracks as I try to reason.