Chapter Fifty

𝑀𝒶𝓁𝒾𝒶

New life can take many forms. As I watch the newborns from the side of the hospital room, I marvel at the tiny, fragile lives that have just entered the world.

The entire family receives a call that these babies will randomly be joining our family in a few hours. No one expects it, but they are all used to it when it comes to Adelaide's social service job.

We cram into a private room on the NICU floor. Macy was able to secure a bigger room for us so we can all be here to celebrate and question what just happened.

I watch the babies cradled in a shared incubator in the center of this room, everyone standing around watching them in awe. Their little fingers latch onto each other's hands, and their chests rise and fall in sync as if they share the same lungs.

Being here in a hospital, seeing newborn babies, reminds me of Meylin and me. Though I didn't have this many people around me when I brought a new life into this world. Doing it alone was hard, but I know that if Ray, Liv, and I ever do decide to have another child, I would never be alone again. I would be surrounded by this big family that drops everything on a dime to be here when one of their members needs them.

Rayden holds me tighter, pulling me deeper into her lap as Olivia rests her head against my shoulder. To say we're tired right now is an understatement. But we wouldn't miss being here for the world. They convinced me earlier this week to celebrate my birthday with the entire family later today, but I'm definitely canceling to get a little extra sleep.

The bathroom door clicks open just as the sliding door to the hall opens, and into the room walk Raven and Valiana, followed by Macy and Adelaide. Both couples' approach from different directions.

"Oh, shit, you all beat us to the party," Raven chuckles with Valiana clutched to her waist.

"I didn't know everyone was going to show up at once," Macy says. "I'm glad I got us a bigger room."

"You call, we come. Family is family, love," Alex states.

Raven's phone starts to ring with Tyler's specific ringtone, and I'm already close by to grab it, knowing she wouldn't mind, considering I've used her phone for the last nine years.

"Hey, Ty."

"What's up, queen? Where's Raven?"

I hand the phone to her, and she instantly turns the camera to the babies in the incubator. Her baby fever is through the roof right now as she has the biggest grin on her face.

"Um, Raven? Whose goddamn white baby is that?" Rave frowns, rolling her eyes and taking the camera off the babies. "And not just one, there are two white babies in that incubator—crib—basket—whatever the hell that glowing thing is."

"It's an incubator, Tyler. And shut up, you might be in California, but I can still get on a flight and beat your ass. Use your common sense, child."

"Oh my gosh why are you always so violent? I don't visit you for one week and y'all popping babies out like Virgin Mary."

"Ain't nobody a virgin in here or poppin them out like Mary." Raven scoffs with a smirk.

"No seriously! Did you and Adelaide pick these minions up from some street?"

"Tyler! They're not things you pick up from a store!" Raven scolds, even though there's a playful lilt to her voice. She shakes her head at him.

Adelaide sighs audibly, "I'm already tired of the constant calls we get for abandoned babies because of my job. Can we not make jokes about them being from the street?"