D

David pants as he hides on the side of a dumpster

David pants as he hides on the side of a dumpster. Multiple footsteps beat against the pavement as a group of four boys, who had been chasing him, ran.

          "Where you at lil fucker!" One screamed.

         "Let's check this alleyway," another voices and David holds his breath. The footsteps got closer, one of their bats scraping against the brick wall.

         "Hey! What are you kids doin'? Get outta hea! Ain't nothin' back Thea fa ya'."

The boys footsteps fade and David peaks around the bin. There was a police officer looking into the alleyway strangely, he didn't spot David and ended up walking away.

         He sighs in relief before sitting down, allowing his head to rest on the wall. He had been running for so long that his calf's were burning.

His stomach growls and he groans. He hadn't eaten in days and it was beginning to hurt. He stands back up, ignoring the pain in his knees from skinning them; he had fell while trying to get away.

         He scavenges through the trash until he comes across a box of donuts, none of them had been touched and seemed brand new as the icing wasn't messed up. He begins to eat them, moaning at the taste. There were different kinds but his favorite was the chocolate iced one. Once he was done, he threw the box back in the bin before leaving the alleyway to sit in front of the local donut shop.

             It was cloudy as people walked by, they never acknowledged him anymore being that he's been around for so long. Sometimes they gave him money but it was rare nowadays; everyone was just trying to support themselves in order to stay alive.

 Sometimes they gave him money but it was rare nowadays; everyone was just trying to support themselves in order to stay alive

         "Hey sweetheart, are you okay?" David's eyes flutter open, not realizing that he had fallen asleep.

         A lady was standing over him, the night sky peaking from behind her.

         He slowly sits up rubbing his eyes. "Yeah. I'm sorry. I ain't mean ta fall asleep. I'm finna leave."

          "Oh no, I don't work hea. I jus' noticed you laying hea. Where are ya parents?"