[5] Clearing things up

Akk and Gumpa were sitting in Gumpa's kitchen, drinking tea. It was nearly 4 pm. Ayan was still sleeping in Akk's room. So Akk went to meet up with Gumpa. He left a note for Ayan that he would be coming back soon and some food he had prepared earlier. Gumpa waited patiently for Akk to finish his drink to answer his questions.

"I think you owe me an explanation. What exactly happened? What were you doing? And who is that boy?"

Akk already knew this was going to happen. He was fidgeting with his fingers nervously. He took a deep breath before answering.

"I know. I'll explain everything. But first you need to promise me not to tell anyone about this and I want you to stay out of it. I don't want you to get involved. You have enough things to worry about. I don't want to burden you. You've helped me enough." Akk stopped and waited for Gumpa's answer.

"Fine. I'm not getting involved with this but only because I trust you enough not to make stupid decisions. I know you will have your reasons." Gumpa knew Akk was right. He had enough problems to worry about and no time. It would be better not to get involved.

Akk hesitated but then continued. He decided to lie not to make Gumpa more suspicious.

"Well, when I was going home I found him on the streets. He was already injured and unconscious. I think he belongs to that graffiti gang-"

"Did you bring a criminal into my apartment? Akk! What the hell?" Gumpa interrupted him. He was furious and confused as to why Akk would help a criminal and take him to his apartment.

"Wait, I can explain. I'm pretty sure he has something to do with Yok. I just have to ask him a few questions just to be sure."

"Is this about Yok again?" Gumpa asked shocked. Akk nodded guiltily and starred in his cup to avoid Gumpa's gaze. Akk didn't want to see his disappointed face.

"I'm sorry that you got involved with this." Akk tried to apologise but Gumpa shook his head.

"No, it's ok. I understand you. Just promise me that you won't do something reckless. I know that you are frustrated since the incident but you have to be careful. Don't overdo it. You have to take care of yourself too. Don't let Yok become your only purpose in life. This is all in the past now. You need to live your own life someday. Got it?"

Akk nodded again without saying a word. Gumpa looked at his watch and sighed again.

"Sorry, but I have to go now. If you need something, you can always come to me. You know that." Gumpa smiled reassuringly and patted Akk's shoulder. Then he and Akk left his apartment together and parted their ways.