Prologue

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV.

After I returned to the ship, I went back to my room right away. An exhausted Hirata was there, asleep on his side. I changed my clothes quietly so I wouldn't wake him and headed into the hall. When I turned my phone back on, the ringer started buzzing repeatedly. My call history had filled up.

They were all from Horikita. Scary. For the time being, I just answered emails and relaxed in the lounge while I waited.

She probably wouldn't be convinced unless I explained things. Soon, a quite angry Horikita met up with me, radiating a silent pressure.

However, before she could say anything, an announcement could be heard throughout the ship.

Horikita frowned while focusing on the school's announcement.

"Attention. This is an announcement to all students. A special exam is about to happen. All students, please gather in the theater room on the cruise ship. Because this is a special exam, please do not miss it. We repeat—"

"I know you want an answer, but for now, we should go."

"You'd better tell me everything later."

I nodded in response, and we went to the designated room.

As we reached the theater, a lot of students were already here. Most of them were from classes A and B.

Class B was talking with each other happily, with Ichinose as the center. It was understandable since they came in 2nd in the Island Exam, although Kanzaki had quite a serious look on his face.

Class A was sitting neatly and quietly as they lost so many points. And maybe the deal between Ryuen and Katsuragi also put them in a bad mood. In front of them, Katsuragi, one of the two leaders of Class A, was next to a petite, pale-skinned girl with her eyes downcast. She held a thin cane. It was clear that she had trouble walking.

So, this girl was Class A's other rumored leader, who had supposedly split the students into two distinct factions between herself and Katsuragi. Although everyone around her was staring, the girl paid no attention to them. She had short, silver hair, a particularly eye-catching feature. I wasn't sure whether or not she dyed it.

(AN: For the sake of the story, Sakayanagi is on the cruise ship but didn't join the special exam.)

There was no sign of Ryuen yet. That explained why Class C was a little noisy and disorderly.

Class D, well, was as usual.

"Ah mou, this is so annoying."

"Yeah, we just finished a special exam. Why do we have to do another immediately?"

"The school is so cruel."

"Hirata-kun, you're alright?"

"Right? You look sleepy, Hirata-kun."

"Don't worry, I'm totally fine."

"Karuizawa-san, you should give Hirata-kun a lap pillow."

"W-wah???"

"Don't tease her, Satou."

"Suzune, come here! I've saved one seat for you."

"No thanks. And I don't remember allowing you to call me by my first name."

"S-Sorry..."

We sat in the back of the group. Next to us was Hirata's group.

After 15 minutes, every first-year student was here. Mashima-sensei walked to the middle of the stage. He coughed to gather the students' attention.