Chapter 6: A New Book Friend

(AN: It's Y1V7 and Hyori.)

Farewell, My Lovely in one hand, I walked over to the mystery section, hoping to find another of Raymond Chandler's works. As I arrived there, I saw a lone female student struggling to grab a book on a high shelf. It was Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë. A masterpiece penned by the middle of the three Brontë sisters, all of whom were literary legends.

Oh, I don't know why I have that book, but I'm interested in reading it now, and Wuthering Heights is not bad either. I see the student has good taste.

"Farewell, My Lovely and Wuthering Heights?!" Hiyori squealed in a low voice.

"Oh, it's you, Hiyori-chan," Yamashita cheered.

"It's me?!" Hiyori finally realized the student on screen was her.

'Are they gonna have a connection in the future?' Ryuen pondered while keeping his usual grin.

A conventional blurb could make that book sound like a mystery, but wouldn't it have fit better in the romance section?

Wuthering Heights was perched at a strange angle, just barely within reach, which might be why the girl wasn't using the stepstool. I stood in front of her and grabbed the book.

"Sorry, I don't mean to butt in, but..." I looked at her and trailed off.

'It's on the wrong section.' Hiyori thought, furrowing her eyebrows slightly.

"Wait a minute. You're from Class C. You're..."

Shiina Hiyori. I'd seen her with Ryuuen a short while ago. It seemed that she recognized me, too.

"You're Ayanokouji-kun, right?" she asked.

(AN: The fact that she remembered his name and face after meeting him once was pretty insane. It also means she indeed lied to Ryuen in y1v6 to avoid conflict. I wonder how many readers realize this.)

"Yeah. Uh, here you go," I said, handing her the book.

"Thank you very much."

"You two seem to know each other," Nanami said

"Yeah. But it also looks like we don't know much about each other aside from knowing the other person's name." Hiyori remarked.

"Do you like her work? Brontë?" I asked.

"I don't really like or dislike the book. It was in the wrong section, so I thought I'd return it to its proper place," she replied.

"I see."

"By the way, that book you have—Farewell, My Lovely, right? It's wonderful," said Shiina. Her eyes started to sparkle.

"I managed to borrow it from a friend of mine today."

"Wow, that's lucky. It seems as though Raymond Chandler's quite popular among the second-year students. I've been wanting to reread it myself, but I wasn't able to find a copy today."