Chapter 12

~{Promise? perhaps, no}~

I checked the clock after what felt like a hundred years, and it showed 4 AM, so I got up. I walked into the shower and lathered my hair with the available shampoo. Once again, I fixed my hair and brushed my teeth. I took my medications, which would soon run out, and tended to my bleeding wounds. I throw the old bandage and applied a fresh one.

I had done all of that two hours ago, and now it's 6 o'clock. The curtains are drawn, and the lights are off, except for a dimly lit lamp on the nightstand. I feel utterly lost and stand up, approaching a large table. On the table, there lies an assortment of unfamiliar creams and other products, but I ignore them and pick up my concealer that I had placed there.

I took a little concealer and spread it under my eyes, making me look like a zombie, I must say.

Alone, alone, alone... indeed are you.

My mind starts spinning, and my greatest enemy is awaking. Let me tell you something my greatest enemy is not the people around me but my own brain, myself, my inner voice. My biggest adversary, my closest companion, the only one I can have a meaningful conversation with.

Suddenly, my hand stops the task it was engaged in. It looks like my brain is playing its own game. What is it provoking me to remember? Maybe...

I have nothing. I have no phone, no computer. I have no person, no one by my side. I have nothing. Completely alone. I should...

"I should start working, if not for myself, then for my beloved butterflies."

Suddenly, some scenes from yesterday's events start forming in my mind.

Wow, I really sound desperate and hopeless. Cool, just cool.

I gazed into the mirror for a while, staring into my own eyes as if I were promising something to myself.

............

Author pov

"I should wake her up," who is it? Maya thought

"Nope, I should wake her up,"  Someone else confidently decided.

"I'm going to wake her up. You two back off," Another familiar manly voice firmly told the others.

"That's not fair!" they protested.

"Leave now or . If she wakes up because of your loud, boisterous voices, I will inform Xavier," That more familiar threatened them.

And that's how the two lively boys disappeared.

Maya stared blankly at the door, waiting for the person to enter her room.

But what shocked her were the two soft knocks.

She walked up to the door and opened it. There stood Marco, dressed in a suit, looking ready for the day as well.

He gave her a big but not overly wide smile and automatically hugged her, which startled her.

"I missed you, Sorella," something warm awakened inside Maya, joy perhaps? She couldn't guarantee it.

On the other hand, Marco felt the need to stay by her side every second he breathed.

A frown made its way onto his face.

He removed his chin from her head and looked down at her.

"Sorella," no response.

"Cutie," no response.

"Baby," no response.

But does he care? The answer is no. Will he stop calling her sweet names? The answer is no.

"Eve," still no response.

Marco took a deep breath and tried once more.

"Evannah," this time, with this name, something stirred within her once again.

This time she looked up at him.

And Marco's eyes instantly softened as if they hadn't been soft from the beginning.

"What's wrong? Is something amiss?" he asked.

But she shook her head.

He understood that she didn't want to talk about it and let it be.

He smiled at her this time and planted a kiss on her forehead.

Maya was shocked, confused, and doubtful as Marco took her hand and began to walk towards who knows where

Hello Ennies! I must apologize for the lengthy absence this time. The last time I was updated was on February 17th. My god, it's almost been two months now, just three days away. I sincerely apologize for the delay. I already updated chapter 11🤧

To all of you who are following/reading this book, thank you for your patience and understanding.🌺😭😩✋