Black Girl Lost. (2)

JANUARY, 2000.
NEW YORK CITY.
(excuse errors).

To be free. The air felt different for Nasir, and was more than refreshing. And to top it all off, the man was freed in time for the new year. The first year of the a new century.

He got a ride back to the city from one of his grand friends. He freshened up and fell back into the mix with ease. It was almost as if he never was locked up. He went out for the day, meeting up with old faces that he considered friends and family. Their reactions made Nasir feel like he was a celebrity, and he valued them dearly.

"So what are y'all niggas doing tonight? Hm?" Nasir asked, rolling up his first blunt in five years. His friend shrugged his shoulder, while another one of them rubbed their hands together. "Man, we outside tonight! It's a new year. And that means new money."

Nasir knew what that meant. All he could do was shake his head, briefly chuckling as a response. "Look man, I just got out the pen. I ain't tryna do nothing to get put back in."

"We hear you bro." the guy said, "shit, we don't want you back in. We need you out here."

"Yeah, on some lowkey shit." the other friend of his stated. "We ain't on broke shit this year. We keepin the money up...and so are you."

Nasir nodded, figuring that the would have him on watch. That would mean he would be a middleman in the street world, and keep count of the cash coming in from any drugs or other activity. Nasir didn't mind it for now as it was quick cash. He needed it, up until he could get back on his feet and establish something for himself.

"Ight, I fucks with it." Nasir spoke, "I guess I'll chill in the crib while y'all are out. Or get some ass." the man joked.

"Definitely go get some ass." his friend replied as he laughed. "Yo' girl Trin has been buggin' the whole time you was in. Sent you letters and all that."

"I don't know why..." Nasir spoke, "that broad knows what's up."

The three men cackled in laughter, making jokes and continuing on with the conversation. It wasn't too long before the man's friends left out— it left Nasir to be alone. He didn't mind it, but he couldn't help but to think about his writing pal— Naomi.

Straight from his memory, he dialed up the woman's number, expecting her to answer. A grin came on his face as he heard the lady's voice, greeting her warmly.

"...You sound a lot better today. What's with that?"

"I just feel feee today, you know? It's a new year."