The Boss.

SHORT STORY
starring
Devante Swing and Y/N.

____

____

This was your first big time job, as you worked at Essence Magazine. You were new to the whole thing, and worked as one of the many gofers around here. You were hoping to get a higher position here however, as you always had dreams of being an professional writer.

Right now, you were called in to be in a meeting, as the executive of the Essence brand wanted to go over a few things regarding the changes within operation and such.

Your boss—- Mr. Swing,  got up to speak on the possibility of being laid off and what not, going into detail with it. As he spoke, he kept looking over at you, which left you to be confused. It also left you wondering, thinking about if he was directing what he was talking about to you. The both of you never really talked, and he always gave you stuck up vibes.

He looked at you from across the table, clenching his jaw and narrowing his eyes. It was like he didn't want to make things obvious, but with the way he kept looking at you, it wasn't gonna be a surprise if someone suspected anything between the two of you.

Once the meeting was over, Mr. Swing called you out, asking you to meet him in his office when it was lunch time. Your colleagues side eyed you, and you can tell that there was immediate gossip coming from their mouths.

" Girl...I seen you over there talking with Mr. Swing. He looked pretty serious..." Trish says. She worked as a gofer in your department as well, and was the only girl you spoke to at your job.

" Yeah, well he wants to speak with me during lunch. I don't know what about though."

" Ouuu....girl, now I've been working here for 3 years now...and the only time he does that is when someone is near getting cut from the squad." she says.

" Well, I don't think that's the case. Hopefully it isn't..." you say, feeling a little anxiousness now.

As you say back at your desk, and a bunch of negative thoughts begin to saturate your head. You didn't know what this meetup with Mr. Swing was about and it worried you.

——

NOONTIME,
LUNCH BREAK

You waited till everyone left your department to make your departure to Mr. Swing's office. You had to save yourself the embarrassment, especially if he planned on laying you off. You took one last deep breath before knocking on his door, waiting for him to answer. " Come on in!" he yelled, giving you the go to go inside.