old friend

Kennys pov;

"Kenny?" I looked up to see bebe,
"What are you doing here?"

"I work here..."

"Ohh..that's weird.."

"Not really—are you high?"

"Yeah, what gave it away?"

"Your eyes are red, and you just reek of it.."

Huh..well, I can't help that.. "Oh! Uh... Kenny, how have you been? Since you know.." she scratched the back of her neck.

"What—oh...uh.." I looked down at my untied combat boots fiddling my thumbs. "Wanna decompress at my place?"

"Sure.." she nodded and went back into the building and came out five minutes later, we walked to her flat since she didn't have a car or anything.

"Okay, lay it on me." After explaining what happened, she laid back and sighed, looking up at the ceiling. She looked at me, "I told you so~" she smugly stated.

I rolled my eyes, turning my face more seriously. "This isn't the time to be snarky or joke!"

"I'm not joking. I told you and him weren't good for each other! And what'd you do?"

I looked down shyly, "I started arguing with you and cut all contact with you.." she nodded, smirking while I spoke.

"I'm sorry about that.." she thurrowed her eyebrows and shook her head. "No need to apologize, I didn't take it personally. I knew you'd talk to me eventually. You and him were just naive." She smiled.

I smiled back with a nod, "So.. how have you been?" She looked up to the ceiling, putting her hands behind her head, leaning back, "Well.."

"Me and wendy broke up and went back to being friends, I failed my drivers test, my grades are ify, I have that job, bought this apartment and..that's it!"

I looked somewhat shocked and impressed. She did all that at ages 15-17?

Oh, right! Me and bebe met in highschool she was maybe fourteen? I cut contacts with her when she was fifteen, almost sixteen, and now she's about seventeen, almost graduating.

"Wow, good for you!" I smiled proudly, bebe was like a little sister to me. She also lived in a somewhat similar situation as me. She grew up in an abusive home, but unlike me, she got taken away, and she was put in the system, going from house to house before her, now parents adopted her.

She smiled brightly, and we chatted for a while before I left,

I wondered back to my house, crawling in bed and drifting off, I woke up and finally built the courage to start my laundry. As I was loading my laundry, I heard a knock. I put the clothes and sheets in as quickly as possible, putting soap in the thing and turning it on, rushing to the door.

"He–" right when opened the door greeting whoever it was a body rush up against mine wrapping its arms around me pulling me in a tight hug.

"WH-" I looked down to see dirty blond, short wolf-cut hair with a bow in it, I immediately knew who it was when I saw her hair. I scooped her up and twirled her around gently,

"KARE-BEAR!!" I shouted with joy. She giggled as I slowly put her down, still somewhat holding her by the arms, "HEY, KENNY!" she smiled. I haven't seen Karen since I was kicked out of our parents' house.

"Oh my God, Karen, I missed you–wait..." I let go of her backing up raising a brow, "what are you doing here?" She nervously smiling looked down at her mitch-match singed sneakers scratching her arm,

"W-well, you see... I got expelled from my school for almost killing a kid while fighting.. and our parents got tired of me and just decided to kick me out.."

I gritted my teeth. First Kevin, me, now Karen? Only then did I realize her bags.

Karen is only fourteen... They couldn't wait till she was at least sixteen like me?