Chapter 9: Field Trip

"They were here," James says angrily. "Ozpin, they were here!" He slams his hand on Ozpin's deck as he failed to retrain his fury.

"We're very much aware of that!" Glynda responds with snark, clearly displeased with both this situation and James's behavior. "Thank you, James."

"Fantastic! You're aware! Now are we going to do something about it or should we just stay the course and continue to ignore what's right in front of us?!" He accentuates his words by pointing to the floor.

Ozpin just stares at his allies with his hands linked in front of him. She was becoming bolder; how could her agents slip under their radar? Were they infiltrated as students? If so from which Academy? With how furious James is he doubts they're from Atlas, and the description his guards gave them didn't help.

The guards who survived that is...

As for James's point... Well, maybe it has some merit. Inaction can only last for so long. She attacks their Maiden, and then snakes their way into his school?! No, he was not going to let her get away with this.

"This is a good time as any to say this," Ozpin said, drawing their attention. "Two nights ago, I received a call from a mysterious source that told me that the ones responsible for the chaos on the city will be in the southeast, on... Mountain Glenn."

Both Glynda and James stiffened. James specially looking wistful as he remembered what was supposed to be a bridged between the two Kingdoms, just as Argus was with Mistral. He might not have been general at the time, but the weight of that failure was one all the leaders of both Kingdoms carried with them.

"And this source, who is it?" James asked, showing his skepticism.

Ozpin closed his eyes, recalling their words. "According to them: 'someone who wants to do the right thing.' Maybe a White Fang member that has seen the wrong of their violent ways."

"Or one of her agents leading us to a trap," James cut in. As his 'General Gaze' as Ozpin liked to call it, became sharper. As long as Mettle didn't start clouding his judgement. "If that's the case then I'll mobilize my men, call Winter if necessary. We'll find out exactly what's going on, and eradicate any forces that stand in our way."

Glynda growls in frustration. "Why must your answer to everything involve a triumphant display of military bravado!? You treat every situation like it's a contest of measuring di...!"

"Glynda..." Ozpin gives her a leveled look. "Language."

She has the decency to blush before crossing her arms and grumbling, "well, he does."

"She is right, though, James," Ozpin turns his chair to Ironwood. "As much as I too would love to end this situation once and for all, we must remember that this may go beyond Vale. Beyond Beacon. And if this truly is part of some master plan for which we know not the final move, we mustn't be so bold. Nor can we risk the spread of panic."

The General is not pleased with his answer, his fists clenched and frown deepening. "I have served you faithfully for years... but if you mean to tell me that your plan is to really hold the defenses, and wait...!"

"It is not!" Ozpin lets his own temper flare. Even Glynda flinches and James is taken aback for a moment. With the focus back on him, he relays his plan and point of view to them. "You're a general, James. So, tell me, when you prepare to go to war, which do you send in first? The flag bearers, or the scouts?"

He taps into his desk and shows Team RWBY's profile. Glynda and James stare at him in disbelief. "Oz, those girls are not ready! Silver Eyed warrior or not!" Glynda protests.

"It's exactly because of their failure that they will be willing to agree to a mission such as this, and I have a man in mind to guide them in this field trip. A Huntsman to shadow them," he said, showing them another picture featuring one Nicholas Arc. "Nick has a relation to this case. The sword of one of these armored strangers that our students faced in the highway is none other than Crocea Moirs, which was last seen in the hands of his missing son."