Chapter 3

Two weeks had passed since Ash had stepped foot in the mansion. There was not a day that passed by wherein he was not able to feel someone watching him. A few days passed and he got used to it. He never asked about the Master's door despite seeing it open quite a lot. He knew that no one would answer him anyway. 

As he walked out of his room to get started on his day, the Master's bedroom door was wide open. Not only was it open, but a man was also leaning against the doorframe with his gaze locked toward him. 

"Walk with me," the man said in such a deep baritone voice that it sent shivers down his spine.

"O-okay," Ash stuttered and followed behind the man as he walked.

"Walk beside me," the man said so Ash quickened his pace so he could match the man's strides.

His arm slightly brushed the other man's arm, causing goosebumps to appear all over his skin. It made Ash want to touch his arm again but he quickly scratched that thought upon realizing how creepy he sounded for wanting to touch a stranger's arm. 

"You haven't introduced yourself to me yet," the man said as they walked down the stairs.

"I, uh, I'm sorry," Ash quickly apologized. "I'm Ash."

Ash expected the man to introduce himself as well but the man just hummed in response. They reached the end of the stairs and they were met with Sir Edford who was standing there in shock. 

"Master Basil. We weren't expecting you home for another two weeks," Sir Edford asked as soon as he regained his composure.

"Master Basil," Ash whispered under his breath.

"Well, I'm here now Edford. Breakfast?"

Sir Edford nodded and motioned for them to follow him. Ash went straight to the kitchen, thinking that he had to cook breakfast for both of them but Basil grabbed his arm and pulled him back. The action alone made his heart rate spike and made him feel weak in his knees. 

"Let them handle the breakfast. We shall wait in the dining room," Basil said. 

Ash just nodded, unable to find words to say. His arm immediately felt cold when Basil pulled his hand away. Basil sat at the head of the table while Ash sat on his right. The same seat he had been assigned to for the past week. Ash could feel Basil's gaze on him but he couldn't get himself to look back. 

"You can look at me, you know," Basil said in a teasing tone, causing a deep flush to appear on Ash's cheeks.

"O-okay," he stuttered but kept his gaze away from the man. 

"I don't bite," he teased. "Not yet at least," he muttered under his breath but Ash caught his words.

His head snapped towards the man, causing a triumphant smile to appear on his face.

"I'm Basil. Just call me Basil," he introduced.

"I'm Ash," Ash meekly replied.

"I know, darling. You already introduced yourself to me earlier."

Ash bit his tongue to prevent the vocal reaction that nickname almost elicited out of him. Ash still couldn't believe that Basil Montogomery was sitting in front of him. he genuinely expected a limping old man. He wasn't expecting a man who looked like he came straight out of a magazine. It seemed like Basil was about to say something but was interrupted by Sir Edford bringing in their breakfast. 

"Thank you, Edford," Basil said.

"You're welcome, Master."

"Edford, please prepare a two-year contract for Ash here," Basil said.

"Y-yes, Master."

"Do it now, please."

Sir Edford hesitated but nodded anyway before leaving the two in the dining room. Confusion set in ASh. He hasn't even finished his training period yet but he's already getting offered a two-year contract. This is also the first time he has met the Master. 

"I-I'm not done with my training yet," Ash stuttered.

"You don't have to. Aren't you happy that I'm already offering you a long-term contract? That means you've done a good job," Basil said. 

"But, you haven't seen my performance yet. You didn't even let me cook your breakfast. How am I supposed to prove myself?" Ash could feel himself panicking. 

He secured a long-term job but he's scared that Basil had made a bad judgment and thrown him out once he made one mistake. Ash felt a bit of his worries alleviated when he saw the satisfied smile on Basil's face. 

"You're the only one who was able to get along with everyone. Their judgment is more important than mine. Don't worry, if I try to fire you for some petty reason. I'll lose everyone working for me," Basil said as he took Ash's hand in his. 

Ash's mind went haywire. The man's touch felt like a warm blanket hugging him. It made him crave his touch more. He wanted to hug the man but he knew he couldn't. Ash could only manage to smile back. The food finally came and Ash was more than happy for the distraction.

"Enjoy your meal," Susanne said before sending a suggestive wink to Ash.

Ash didn't understand what Susanne was trying to imply so he just brushed it off. He was also relieved that Susanne wasn't mad that she had to do his job for him. The master's breakfast was his duty after all. Ash waited for Basil to start eating his breakfast before eating his. 

"Do you have any family?" Basil asked. 

"No," Ash calmly replied.

"I'm sorry about that," Basil said. 

"No need to," Ash said with a sad smile. "How about you? Any family?" he asked

He can't call those people his family if they never even wanted him as a part of it.

"Everyone in this home is my family," Basil replied.

Ash nodded in understanding. He felt a sense of comfort knowing that he and Basil are somewhat the same. He only wished that he had people around him to call his family when his family turned their backs on him. 

"How long have they all been working for you?" Ash asked.

"For as long as I can remember," he replied. 

Basil reached out his hand and wiped off the crumbs that were stuck to the side of Ash's lips. Ash shyly muttered a thank you, turning his face away as he turned beet red. Ash was snapped back to reality when he remembered the contents of the contract. Ash felt embarrassed for acting like a teenager whose talking to their crush. This was part of his job. Ash sighed and went back to eating his breakfast.

Basil noticed the change in his mood but didn't say anything. He tried starting another conversation but Ash would just answer with one word or a short phrase. Basil gave up trying after a few more tries, seeing how he was not going to get a decent conversation going. 

"Let's go to my office so you can sign the contract," Basil said as he stood up from his seat. 

He offered his hand to Ash. The latter wanted to refuse but saw it as rude to do so, so he placed his hand in his as he stood up from the chair. Basil placed his hand on Ash's lower back as they walked, guiding him, and it instantly made him shiver. There was something in the way that Basil touches him that elicits such physical reactions.

"Sit down, please," Basil said as he pointed over to the chair in front of his desk.

He circled the table as Ash sat down. The contract was already prepared and Basil motioned for Ash to read it. Ash read it and it was essentially the same as the first contract he sighed. The only difference is the duration of his employment. Once he signed the contract, Basil took his hand and placed a gentle kiss on the back of his palm. Ash felt his face heat up once again. 

"Welcome to the family, Ash."