Chapter 11

Basil awoke to a room barely lit by candles. He could feel the heaviness on his neck, he tried touching his neck but his hands were held back. Basil found chains wrapped around his wrists. He could only curse under his breath. The sound of Ash's faint breathing penetrated his ears, Basil looked around and saw Ash chained to a bed at the other side of the room. Basil mustered all his strength to try and rip off the chains but it was no use.

They were no ordinary chains. It can withhold the immense power of a vampire. Basil slumped in defeat. For now, he felt content seeing Ash safe and sound. Basil then realized something was off, the scent of Ash's blood filled the room. Ash came in clear vision. He wasn't just chained, his blood was being drained.

Suddenly, another creature burst through the door, making a beeline for Ash. Basil watched helplessly as the vampire hovered above Ash with a bloodthirsty look on his face. He tried to scream and fight against the chains but his pleas fell on deaf ears. Basil watched as the vampire took one of the blood bags, ripped it open, and gulped it all down.

Basil silently watched as the man writhed in pain, blood forcibly coming out of his throat until he finally collapsed on the floor. Basil's father suddenly appeared out of thin air, holding another vampire by the throat. He grabbed the now-human vampire from the floor and forced the other one to bite him. His father let go of the vampire as it hungrily fed on the other. His screams were muffled as the blood was slowly drained out of his body. 

The vampire released the dried-up corpse, letting it drop down on the floor without a care. Then, something unexpected happened, the veins on the vampire's body slowly turned black, as if there was poison running through his veins. Basil watched a triumphant smile form on his father's face. It's as if he knew that this was going to happen.

The vampire screamed in pain as dark blood started to leak out of his orifices. Basil has never seen anything like this happen before. Then all of a sudden, the man burst into pieces, scattering black bile all over the room. His father then took all the bags of blood he collected from Ash and left with a satisfied smile. Basil was left still chained to the wall, wondering what just happened. 

Once again, Basil attempted to free himself from the chains but his efforts remained futile. 

"Stop trying to escape, Basil. You know nothing would work on that," his father sighed, appearing in front of him out of nowhere. 

"What the fuck do you want Bartholomew?" Basil snarled.

"Oh dear, that is not how you talk to your father," Bartholomew shook his head in disappointment. 

"Why did you take Ash? What do you want from him?" Basil asked. 

"Oh, you see, your beloved Ash over there is special. You already saw what his blood could do, but even better, what human-turned-vampire blood can do to other vampires," Bartholomew explained. "See, you know I am now not a very big fan of the council and how they've been handling things. As vampires, we need to have our presence known among the humans but the council has grown weak, choosing to hide behind the society and peacefully coexist with the humans," he spat with disdain. "But, with your lover's blood, I could climb my way to the top and put things in the way that nature had intended."

"You're in over your fucking head! Let Ash go!" Basil spat.

"As if someone else won't snatch him the moment I let him go," Bartholomew taunted. "Everybody already knows about your little boy toy. I might be draining his blood for my personal agenda but hey, at least he's still alive," he said, barking out a mocking laugh.

Basil was at a loss. He didn't know what to do. He can't fight against his father, not in this state. He couldn't get out of his restraints. He couldn't reach Ash. The only thing he could do was call out to him but the latter was still unconscious. 

"Well, you know I'm not one for suspense so I'm just going to tell you the rest of what I'm going to do," Bartholomew started. "Once I drain all of your lover's blood, which doesn't seem to be happening," he laughed, "I could turn a bunch of treacherous vampires into humans and then drain their blood to use as a poison. Doesn't that sound wonderful my son?"

Basil didn't dignify the man with a response. He didn't have the energy to do so. Everything was too much. 

"Oh, and I noticed one thing, his pain is your pain, and your pain is his pain so if I were you I'd behave and neither of you would get hurt," were his final words before disappearing out of thin air. 

Basil could only slump down in defeat. He needed to get him and Ash out as soon as he could but he was powerless against his father. He always was. He knew running away from him wouldn't last forever but the stakes are higher because of Ash. Basil could only hope that someone would come and save them but as he looked over at Ash, he feared that they wouldn't be rescued, but rather be taken by someone else to be used as weapons to wage a war. 

A/N:

Apologies for the late update and the short chapter. My brain has been in a funk for a good while now and I just can't get myself to do anything.