Chapter 10

"I want to kill him," Ash whined as he was cradled in Basil's arms.

Basil couldn't help but chuckle as the words came out of Ash's lips. He was cradled like a child yet such threatening words passes his lips. 

"You can't kill him, Ash. We need him to find out the truth," Basil explained. 

Ash frowned.

"What did he mean when he said he was your beloved? Was he like your husband or something," Ash muttered. 

He didn't want to hear about Basil's past but he was curious. 

Basil took a deep breath. "It was like your one true love in fairytales. Someone you will stay with the rest of your life," Basil paused. "He was a human but after the centuries passed, he got tired and turned into a vampire, ultimately ending our relationship."

"Centuries? How? I thought you said he was human?" 

"As long as I live, he does, and so does my familiars," Basil replied.

"Familiars?" he asked. "You mean Sir Edford and the others?"

"Yes," Basil chuckled. "If you could believe it Edford is older than me by thirty years."

"How old are you then?" Ash asked.

Basil sighed before answering his question. "One thousand four hundred twenty-seven," he quickly muttered under his breath. 

"Wow, an ancient pedophile," Ash teased. 

"Hey, I'm not a pedophile," Basil quickly defended himself. 

"Given that you're more than a thousand years older than me, it makes you one."

"You don't seem to be bothered by it," Basil said as he caressed Ash's hair.

"Well, you're a vampire, that's enough of a shock as it is," he chuckled.

The doorbell rang and Ash reluctantly pulled away. Basil opened the door with Ash behind him. The door revealed Sir Edford and Joanne. Ash hid behind Basil, not ready to face Joanne yet. 

"I'm not mad, Ash," Joanne said in a gentle tone as she approached Ash. "I heal faster than most humans. Not as fast as you guys but I'll heal."

"I'm really sorry about your hand," Ash ap[ologized. 

"It's fine. I've had worse," Joanne said with a smile. "Now, seeing how things ended last time. We all need to have a talk."

Joanne led them to the living without leaving room for arguments. Basil held Ash's hand as they went into the living room. They sat across Edford and Joanne. 

"You're not guilty are you?" Joanne asked. 

Ash shook his head since he found it useless to lie. Joanne sighed and shook her head. Joanne was about to speak again when Amos suddenly entered the room. He gave everyone a bright smile which was returned with scowls. 

"Sheesh, so unwelcoming," Amos said before wedging himself in between Joanne and Edford.

"Why is he here?" Joanne asked with distaste evident in her voice. 

"I am here because that little boy's blood attracted me and I wanted to mess with Basil," Amos said nonchalantly. "And now I'm human!"

"What?!" Joanne and Edford exclaimed at the same time. 

"Yeah, I am! Look!" Amos held up his wounded finger and took off the bandage. "See, I'm not healing super fast so I am a human now."

Joanne looked over at Basil, but he too had no answers as to how it happened.