Ghost

Jungkook was bored. He didn’t have anyone to play with any more and wondering the same corridors and rooms for the past 200 years has gotten very tedious to say the least. Yes, 200 years ago he was brought to his untimely death but of course after those two centuries, it’s safe to say that he was over it. At least he has had some good run-ins with the occasional residents that moved in. Jungkook would like to say that he was a nice ghost but aPpAReNtLy he was an aggressive poltergeist. He just wanted to have fun! Maybe he just got a little overexcited. That woman was just a scaredy cat. And that dog just wouldn’t stop barking at him, for crying out loud, he just threw a ball and the dog was supposed to fetch wasn’t that what they were supposed to do? People were no fun these days.

But that was until you showed up. You had decided to move into Jungkook’s abode and that was either a good idea or a disaster waiting to happen. Despite being a ghost, he hid from you, peeking out at you looking around the house, muttering to yourself that the peeling wallpaper would have to go — you were not a fan of 1970s wallpaper. He was so glad that you said that because that was partly the sole reason that he tormented the last family, he hated that wallpaper. And almost a week later, all your furniture had been moved in.

-

Today you had in mind to get rid of the wallpaper. There was only so much you could take of the fading orange and brown flower-power and it had to go. Jungkook, meanwhile, had stayed out of your way for the first few days, but now it was time to have some fun. So as you were mixing the wallpaper stripper and hot water together next to the sink, your back facing the mischievous ghost. The snickering entity looked around the kitchen, opting for knocking a mug off the table to start off with, but just as his fingers were an inch away your voice startled him.

"What the hell are you doing in my house?"

He looked at you, shocked and eyes wide as you were looking right at him—or through him? He looked behind him and after finding no one, his eyes went back to you as he pointed at himself.

"Yes you!" you confirmed. 

You watched as his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, which in turn made you confused.

"Hello? Get out!" You shouted, his eyes widening even more, incredulously, "Do I have to call the police?"

"Oh yeah, that’s a great idea", he started off sarcastically, "you know if you do that they’re not going to see me", he shrugged like it was the most obvious thing.

"What, because you’ll be out of my house by then?"

"No, because I’m a ghost," he chuckled, again like it was obvious, but he stopped laughing when you keeled over laughing, what looked like the hardest in your life.

"Yeah right", you wheezed, grabbing a random book from the table and lobbing it at him, "Get out of my house!"

"Hey woah woah what are you doing?!"

But you didn’t reply, you just stood frigidly because you could’ve sworn you saw the book go straight through him.

"Y-You’re a ghost!"

"That might have gone straight through me but it still hurts", he whined, rubbing his chest.

-

That was the first time you met your ghost friend Jungkook. 

Neither of you knew why you were able to see him but what can you do? At first you weren’t friends because he still insisted on trying to scare you, but obviously as soon as you heard any noise you’d accuse him right away, as the latter would moan that you were no fun. But because he was so cute—or because he was getting on your nerves—you had invited your friends round to mess around with a ouija board and allowed him to mess with them. Now that was fun, you both had fallen about laughing and it was in those moments you wished you could touch him, because you couldn’t even high-five to celebrate. But all in all, Jungkook was such a great secret friend to have. There was one instance when a friend had set you up with someone and you and Jungkook sent judging looks to each other, at one point you really had to restrain yourself from laughing.

-

"No! Why would she do that? When something freaky happens you don’t walk to the freaky happenings!"

You were currently spending the night watching a horror film, getting into the Halloween spirit. You were never able to get through these kinds of films but Jungkook shouting at the characters made it ten times more bearable. After getting a bowl of popcorn together, you sat next to Jungkook on the sofa, immediately munching on your snack.

The ghost next to you longingly stared at the food in your lap and mumbled, "I miss eating."

You pouted at him, you couldn’t help but feel sorry for him.

After a while, the doorbell rang and you stood up, groaning as you left the comfort of your sofa. Jungkook gasped at the sound of the doorbell looking at you with excited puppy eyes.

"No Jungkook," you replied sternly, "these trick-or-treaters are like, five years old, they do not need the scare of their life."

He pouted, scrunching his nose in annoyance before following you to the door. "It’s not fair," he continued to mope, "I haven’t scared anyone in so long."

"Well, maybe I can invite that guy from last time," you said while picking up the bowl of sweets by the door, the wrappers shimmering in the low light.

"That would be great, thank you."

You chuckled before opening the door. Jungkook watched you adoringly interact with the children dressed in the cutest costumes ever. He thought one of them had seen him but as he was about to lift his hand to wave at them, they diverted their gaze. Feeling saddened, he realised that he had spent so much time with you, with someone who could see him, that he could sometimes forget that no one else could see him. The click of the door closing brought his attention back to you, the muffled screams from the horror film carrying through to the hallway.

"Y/n do you think that when you have a family that they’ll be able to see me?"

His quiet and melancholy tone had softly shocked you, and you wondered what had brought it on.

"I’m counting on it Jungkook."

He stayed quiet but softly smiled while his eyes had averted to the ground. You were about to reach out to put a hand on his shoulder but retracted it when you realised you couldn’t touch him.

"And even if my future family can’t see you, it doesn’t mean I won’t tell them about you."

"Really?" He looked back up to you.

"Yeah! You’ve got me through so much and everything’s fun when you’re around it’s great."

Jungkook chuckled, "Okay," he whispered.

"Let’s get back to that awful film," you said, jogging back to the sofa, Jungkook following closely behind, his giggle that you’d grown accustomed to and loved with your whole heart filling the house.