Going to work with you

"What are you doing, Jungkook?" 

A couple of days ago, Jungkook had asked you if he could accompany you to the nursery you worked at. He had been so excited since you gave him the okay, his energy exactly like the kids you minded. After arriving at the vacant nursery, which earned a disappointed whine from the manchild beside you at the sight of no kids running and playing around yet, Jungkook had refused to help you set up for the day. Instead he opted to press his nose right up to the windows, hands pressed flat against the glass by his head, waiting, which was the scene you had just walked into.

"They’re not here yet," he replied, his voice breathy and low, sounding accidently sinister.

You chuckled, "You’d fit in here very well," you said under your breath thinking of the weird things that come out of kids mouths, flinching at the sudden squeal he let out

You didn’t want to say anything to him but there was something bothering you. Despite his childlike demeanour, you were worried that his broad build and tattooed arm would scare the children. 

But you were a fool.

Children were the most accepting and curious creatures on this planet. Within minutes, after their interested and unnerving stares, a small group had surrounded your boyfriend, who sat cross-legged on the carpeted floor waiting for the day to begin. He giggled as they lightly touched his long wavy hair and carefully tugged on his heavily accessorized ears. You couldn’t help but laugh to yourself as you stood in front of the kids all seated on the floor listening intently to what you were saying with their eyes wide, faces round and soft jaws slightly ajar, while Jungkook sat with them, a small girl in his lap, his dark monochrome clothes contrasting with the colours the children wore, his eyes just as wide and face just as round.

It honestly felt like another child had been added to the group. One just as boisterous, energetic and impish, except 3 times the size….and 3 times stronger.

"Oh, Jonghyun what’s wrong?" you cooed and knelt down to the crying boy that Jungkook had led in from outside play with a guilty look on his face.

While consoling the glistening eyed boy, his face an unsightly shade of red from crying so hard, you looked to Jungkook with a questioning look.

"What did you do?" you asked with gritted teeth.

"We— I was just playing tag with them and knocked him over accidentally," he mumbled, his fingertips fiddling with the hem of his jumper.

Your eyes widened. "Jungkook! Control your strength, these are kids!" You whisper-yelled as not to scare the kid in your arms.

"I’m sorry! It’s hard going from playing with 6 grown men to tiny children who literally weigh nothing," he ranted back and knelt down beside the boy. "Hey, buddy, I’m really sorry ok?"

"Yeah, Jungkook didn’t mean it, it was an accident," you said, consoling the boy, giggling at his disgruntled pout.

After a makeup hug, the boy ran off as if nothing happened, shouting for ‘kookie’ to come with him.

After a run around, everyone had sat down around small circle tables, pots of spilling colouring pens and pencils and colouring sheets in front of them. Naturally, Jungkook had joined in, his colouring skills obviously leaps and bounds ahead of the kids. Walking around, sending words of encouragement around the room, you made your way to your boyfriend who looked as if he could get leg cramps sitting in a chair that was way too small for him.

"Enjoying yourself?" you asked him, discreetly squeezing his shoulder a couple of times.

"Best day ever," he replied with an elated smile and nose scrunch.

"Kookie-hyung, can I colour in the drawings on your arm?" Jonghyun, the little boy from earlier speaks up, his eyes already set on your boyfriend’s tattoos.

Jungkook blinks at the boy with a small smile, then at his tattoos, then nods…then yells in pain when Jonghyun digs in the pencil lead into his skin, confused with the lack of colour. "Here, try this instead," he desperately shoved a felt-tip pen in the tot’s line of vision.

Rather messily, he coloured in between the inked lines with a rather bold shade of pink, but despite pink not being his colour, Jungkook smiled fondly and even encouraged a little girl who sat across from him who watched with keen eyes. Not long after, there was a small group of kids, bickering and waiting for their turn to add colour to his tattoos while you watched from afar in total endearment, hearing the giggles of your boyfriend erupt from his toothy grins.

Saying goodbye to the kids was hard for him, he seemed to get easily attached. But at least they made him laugh as they shouted eagerly at him about what they wanted to do with him the next time he stopped by. You both waved goodbye to the final family and started tidying up, but this time Jungkook decided to help.

"It looks great," you gestured to his rainbow arm.

He follows your eyeline and huffs in amusement. "How long is this going to take to wash off?"

You laughed without answering him, ultimately giving him the imminent truth. He sighed at the thought of scrubbing his arm of the non-permanent ink for a good couple of days.

"You know they’re going to want you back again," you said, slotting the strewn about pens and pencils back into their boxes. "I’m definitely not the only one who enjoyed your company."

He giggled again—this dude was all giggles and smiles today. "Of course I’d love to come again, when I’m free anyway."

"Yeah," you looked to your side to already see him looking back at you, "of course."

You gazed at each other with your lips tugged upwards, the small fluttering of butterflies still resides in your stomachs after a period of dating each other. He leaned in to place a short peck on your lips before continuing to tidy up as you looked at his tattooed arm again, chuckling at the colourful scribbles the children gave him.