Chapter 11 - Can't Help Falling In Love

Y/N POV

I start my rounds for the day, starting up in the ICU, checking over each of my patients there. My patient from the other day seems to be doing just fine. He is making some really good progress. I head on down to see the rest of my in-patients on another floor and see how they are all feeling today. There are a few that are a bit nervous for their surgeries today but that is expected. What is more nerve wracking than having surgery on your brain. The risks of becoming brain dead, speaking a different language, having a stroke, losing your memories. The list could go on and on. All of my morning rounds, I go over to the OR board and check when I am in the OR today. I only have 2 surgeries which isn't too bad. Amelia has one so that is 3 between us unless we have an emergency come in. I don't know which I like more, the planned out surgeries or the spontaneous ones. Being able to plan out the procedures that are being done or having the adrenaline rush of being put on the spot and having to think very quickly.

I walk up to one of the labs to start going over my first surgery of the day. I'm so very glad I picked up that coffee this morning, I need to get my salad before each surgery as well. Keep up with my pre-surgery routine. I guess it's become a habit since becoming an attending. It's just one of those things you end up doing. Like Amelia, she has her superhero pose before surgery. She does it because it improves mentality to be able to perform at your best. That is her little habit. It works too.

I head up to the ICU and check my tablet for any updates on labs and scans to make sure that I don't need to change anything with how long I have to prep or with the surgical procedures. I see one of my patients scans showed that his aneurysm was on the verge of bursting. I get one of the nurses to page Edwards to the OR as I rushed into the patients room to get him sent up to the OR. I scrub in as Edwards runs in and grabs everything that she needs. We both stand there, washing our hands and forearms thoroughly. I hold my arms at an angle in front of my as I enter the OR and get gowned and gloved up. I go over once gowned and gloved, standing facing the OR gallery.

"Let's kick some surgical ass" I say as I hold my hand out to be given the scalpel. I cut into the scalp where the patients hair had been shaved. I take my time, being as careful as possible.I do not want to screw this up as I like to make sure that the scarring is barely noticeable. I get that some people see scars as a reminder that something bad happens. I carefully remove the flesh from the skull and place it in a metal dish with some saline in to keep it clean. I hand the scalpel back over and ask for the surgical drill to start drilling through the bone. It sounds scary but you get used to the sound and sight of it after you have done it a few times. It took me a long time to become accustom to it. You have to have a strong stomach to handle everything about it. I have had interns come and watch when I used to start doing the surgeries as the lead surgeon. I did have a few that couldn't handle watching it and ended up leaving to throw up. It was funny but I was once nearly in that situation, when I first watched one being done. Now it doesn't even bother me. I finish drilling into the brain and can see the aneurysm that I need to clip. I'm very glad that it hasn't burst. They are the ones where you know that it is life or death. They are the ones that neuro surgeons hate. You can sense the nerves so much when that happens. This one is still in tact though which I am so glad for. I hand the drill back and ask for the a clamp and a retractor. I make sure that I have everything clamped that needs to be and carefully clip the aneurysm, making sure that everything is clear and there are no faults with what I have done. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary which is good. I place the part of the skull back and attach it with a small metal plate and some screws. I finish with suturing the flesh I cut at the beginning and bandage the patients head, ensuring that everything stays in place and clean from any potential infections. Once everything is done, I send the patient back up to the ICE with the nurses and take my gown and gloves off, heading to scrub out. I place my hands on the sink and lean on it for a few seconds, taking a moment to breath. One down, one to go. That one isn't for a few hours yet. Amelia has this OR after me. I think she will be prepping at the moment. I scrub out and take my scrub cap off, searching the ICU floor for Amelia. I want to wish her luck before she starts her surgery.