Dead end?

Levi leaned his chin into his hand. They drove slowly through town as people kept crossing the street before them. He sat behind his driver in the back of the town car. The tinted windows hid his identity so he wasn't bothered too much here. Erwin was in the front passenger side. He glanced back at Levi but didn't say anything.

Finally, they got through the crowded street onto an easier throughway. It wasn't long before they got off, maybe half an hour. They drove through near deserted streets until they came to the business section of town. The restaurant sat one building away from the corner. Levi perked up at seeing it. Could he be this close to Eren? He wondered.

Stepping from the car Levi ran a hand nervously through his hair. He had, a few times over the years, thought he was close to the elusive teen. They never panned out but this feeling in his stomach always came on, when he thought he was on track to finding the other boy. He fixed his shirt, making sure he looked his best.

Walking in the room was noisy. People sat all over eating. This must be lunch rush, Levi thought. Erwin walked up to the hostess. He asked to speak to the manager. Her eyes flashed to Levi. She didn't say anything, but went out back to get a grizzled well rounded gentle man. He came out looking them over.

"Can we speak some place more private?" Erwin asked.

The man took in their expensive suits. He saw the slight bulge in Erwin's jacket. With a nod he turned to led them down a short hall. This ended in a room filled with a desk, a small table and lots of books. The man gestured to the table, offering them a seat. He asked if they would like refreshments. So far, Levi allowed Erwin to do all the talking.

Erwin got him tea while getting coffee for himself, the chauffer hadn't come in with them. The man called out for a waitress to bring the drinks. He sat down on the top of the desk to eye his guests.

"What is this about?" he asked.

"We are looking for a possible employee of yours." Erwin began.

"Yes?" the man eyed them. Levi saw how much he was sweating under the thick grey coat. He tuned out the smell.

"A boy, blond hair, his first name is Armin?" Erwin offered.

The man drew his face into a tight line. His lips curved downward making his jowls wiggle. He frowned as he looked to the costume jeweled rings on his hands.

"Ah, yes. He was um, employed here." The man muttered.

"Was?" Levi's steel grey eyes held the man in place as he caught the use of the past tense.

"Yes, well..." the man fixed his coat as a knock came on the door. He moved to open it allowing the waitress to enter. She placed the cups down before the other two, nodded then walked out.

"When did he work last?" Erwin asked.

"This morning. I had to fire him." The man stated.

"Why?" Erwin sipped his coffee as he stepped on Levi's foot.

"Armin is a transient. They steal anything or everything. He worked here for about a month. Many items came up missing." The man said.

"What items?" Erwin pressed.

"Clothes, personal belongings of the staff from the break room. I had to do something when a staffs medication came up missing." The man said.

Before they could say anything else there was another knock on the door. The man moved to open it. A female was on the other side. She peered in seeing only Erwin. Her trained eyes went to the bulge in his jacket.

"I, uh, I heard you had the police in here. I wanted to tell you, I found my jacket with my medication in it." She muttered.

"Someone moved it to a different locker." She insisted.