The game begins

Eren stood before the deep walnut dresser. He hadn't unpacked a single thing from his bag. The clothes we bought for him were inside the dresser. He kept opening the drawers to check on them. Armin also had a whole new wardrobe and dresser in, what was now, his room. Eren turned to face me. That smile! I could die a thousand deaths but that smile would always draw me back. I smirked.

"Thank you, Levi. I have always wanted a home." He said it so softly.

"No matter what happens tomorrow, you're coming home with me!" I promised as I crossed the room to pull him down into a kiss.

We didn't get a lot of sleep that night. Well, I hardly ever slept. Sleep and me, we were rivals in an all out war. I sighed as I fixed my shirt. Might as well get some cleaning done. I searched under the bed, in the dresser, anywhere I could think of, but I couldn't find Eren's pack. I frowned. What had he done with it?

Of course I had no idea what he had in there. For all I know he could have unpacked it and tossed the bag away. I huffed, leaving him to sleep I went to clean the other rooms. They got up several hours later.

"We need to do something about that!" Armin pointed at me.

We were all sitting around the table. They were eating while I enjoyed my fourth cup of tea.

"What? There is nothing wrong with me!" I cried. Eren snickered.

"Yeah, anyone who spent time with street kids would see you don't act like us." He chuckled.

"You're not a street kid any longer." I reminded him. His warm hand fell over mine.

"Levi, I could live until I'm 190 years old, I will always be a street kid." He told me.

There was a deep truth hidden in his eyes, but I was lost by the feel of his thumb caressing the back of my hand. He didn't know he was doing it, but the sensation was soothing for us both.

After breakfast we went into the living room. Eren had his pack once more. I frowned at it. Where had he hidden that thing? I growled to myself.

"Alright, street kids 101." Eren said. He chest passed me the pack.

I caught it out of instinct. Damn this thing smelled like piss and dry old sweat! I had been in locker rooms that smelled better! I dangled it from the strap keeping it as far away from me as I could. He laughed. Marching up to me he took it back.

"This is everything to you. You would lose your life before you lost this pack." He explained.

Stepping back he leaned against the counter that separated the living room and kitchen. His eyes caressed the pack with a longing I wish he would look at me with! Why was I getting jealous of a fucking backpack! I growled.

"It stinks. Can we wash it first?" I asked.

"NO!" Armin and Eren yelled at the same time. They looked at each other grinning.

Sometimes I really hated that kid! Like now! I just wanted to punt him into the fucking atmosphere! How did he command Eren so thoroughly? Would I have been his Armin if it wasn't for Grisha Yeager? That's what I had been trying for... but no, not even then. I couldn't have formed the bond they have.

I saw it watching them. This bond was forged from days spent together being kids. Nights watching each other's backs. Years of leaning only on that one person to save your sorry hide. I would never be to Eren what Armin was, and it killed me!

"So, anyways. This is your life. It holds everything you hold dear to you. Losing this means your dead. Understand?" Eren was talking to me once more.

"What's in it?" I asked. Eren flinched back. He cradled the damn pack in his arms like a baby.