03. iana & witchcraft

↳ chapter three ₊˚

↳ chapter three ₊˚.༄
[# iana & witchcraft]

UNBEKNOWNST TO IANA, PIPER HAD BEEN GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR TRAIN of thought that morning, though for different reasons. While one carved her own grave for the heart she used to call 'mine', the other mourned for the countless efforts made for a love she didn't know was true or not.

Both felt like screaming as they stood on opposite sides of the chariot.

The small group wasted no time on leaving the cracked skywalk, rising over the grand canyon and heading west, bitter winds slicing through the strands of Iana's hair that would undoubtedly bat every single surface of exposed skin around her face. Behind them, more storm clouds were gathering.

The chariot lurched and bumped. It had no seat belts and the back was wide open, which made her think that the irrational fear of heights she had in middle school was in fact, not all that irrational.

Meanwhile, Leo was being annoying, as usual. "This is so cool!" He spat a pegasus feather out of his mouth as if the thought of it containing a thousand bacteria wouldn't keep him up at night. "Where are we going?"

"A safe place," Annabeth said. "The only safe place for kids like us. Camp Half-Blood."

"Half-Blood?" Piper questioned like the word was an insult. "Is that some kind of bad joke?"

"She means we're demigods," Jason said. "Half god, half mortal."

Annabeth looked back. "You seem to know a lot, Jason. But, yes, demigods. My mom is Athena, goddess of wisdom. Butch here is the son of Iris, the rainbow goddess."

Leo choked. "Your mom is a rainbow goddess?"

"Got a problem with that?" Butch said.

"No, no," Leo said. "Rainbows. Very macho."

"Butch is our best equestrian," Annabeth said. "He gets along great with the pegasi."

"Rainbows, ponies," Leo muttered and quickly received a small slap on the arm from Iana.

"I'm gonna toss you off this chariot," Butch warned.

"Demigods," Piper said. "You mean you think you're ... you think we're—"

Lightning flashed. The chariot shuddered, and Jason yelled, "Left wheel's on fire!"

Iana reached for Piper's hand. Sure enough, the wheel was burning, white flames lapping up the side of the chariot. The wind roared. Iana risked a glance behind them and saw dark shapes forming in the clouds, more storm spirits spiraling toward the chariot—except these looked more like horses than angels.

Piper started to say, "Why are they—"

"Anemoi come in different shapes," Annabeth said. "Sometimes human, sometimes stallions, depending on how chaotic they are. Hold on. This is going to get rough."