27. returning half her weight

↳ chapter twenty-seven ₊˚

↳ chapter twenty-seven ₊˚.༄
[# returning half her weight]

IANA WAS DEAD. BUT, THE DEAD WOULDN'T BE LAYING IN AN ENDLESS PIT of darkness, would they? Nor would they be hearing a woman's laugh that sounded far too sinister to be amusement, right?

The short haired girl took a few more slow blinks before pushing herself up, finding herself sitting on a pile of nothing, as if the air had become solid. The darkness was nothing short of ominous. No matter where she turned or looked, she was met with the same color and silence. The only sound audible was her shallow breathing, and the only thing she could see was herself.

"Hello?" she spoke warily, taking note of how her voice disappeared into the room (or wherever she had found herself in).

"Hello, dear." the woman's voice responded, seemingly warm.

Iana found comfort in the fact that her dagger was still with her, gripping the hilt tightly. "Who are you?"

"You know who I am and you know what I want."

She rolled her eyes. "Please stop being so vague, I've had enough of today."

"Oh, I could tell." the voice immediately said and Iana almost felt like someone was watching her. "You were wonderful, you know. Breaking Hera's cage, weakening my connection toward the earth consuming her. It was smart to get your spirit buddy involved."

It took her a few moments, but once she realized the owner of the voice, her heart dropped to her stomach. Iana swallowed the lump in her throat, speaking the name of her enemy. "Gaea,"

"Don't sound so scared," the voice chuckled. Although she couldn't see the deity, Iana had a feeling she was saying it with a smile. "You'd be so perfect working for me, you know? With you and me together, I could show you everything the gods have been keeping a secret from you. Your powers, your potential," the voice paused, before deliberately adding, "Your downfall. Standing on my side of the war will ensure you everything a witch could ever dream of. And you wouldn't have to worry about losing it all."

"Never!" she yelled into the darkness.

"You could be happy for once, Eunji." Gaea said, her given name sounding foreign in her voice. Iana felt movement around her feet and lowered her head, finding a patch of vines pooling around the floor and wrapping around her leg. She tried to kick the plant away, but the vines only tightened even more, its sharp edges slicing her skin ever so slightly.

"No one would look down on you." the goddess continued, her voice tipped with desperation. "No one would think of you as different. They'd see you as someone to be admired, to be adored."

"To be feared," Iana corrected, bringing her feet up to her leg to try and pry away the vines. She pulled and pulled but no matter what, the green plants wouldn't break. They continued to grow and lace around her body, one vine wrapping around her arm and slamming her back.