15. all that glitters isn't gold

↳ chapter fifteen ₊˚

↳ chapter fifteen ₊˚.༄
[# all that glitters isn't gold]

EMPTY DREAMS ALWAYS LED TO BAD MORNINGS, AND THIS ONE WAS NO DIFFERENT. Coach Hedge's screaming wasn't the exact interruption to her slumber (in fact, she once slept through an entire hour of basketball games at her old school) but instead, her panicked friend had grabbed her hand out of impulse as she fell to the floor, dragging Iana down with her, did.

The two of them probably looked like a mess, given the sprawled out strands of hair and the lack of a hairbrush for the pass few days. They rolled over next to each other. Iana was fully aware of the room now bathed in sunlight and the fact that they were still holding hands as the satyr continued his screaming. "Ahhhggggggh!"

"Coach is awake," Leo said.

"Thank you, captain obvious." Iana shot him a tight lipped smile as she willed herself to stand up (she was never much of a morning person).

Coach Hedge was capering around, swinging his club and yelling, "Die!" as he smashed the tea set, whacked the sofas, and charged at the throne.

"Coach!" Jason yelled.

Coach Hedge turned, breathing hard. Iana was afraid he might attack them by accident, given how wild his eyes were. The satyr was still wearing his orange polo shirt and his coach's whistle, but his horns were clearly visible above his curly hair, and his bottom half was definitely all goat.

"You're the new kid," Coach Hedge said when he noticed the blond boy, lowering his club. "Jason." He looked at Leo, then Piper and Iana, and she could've sworn he was squinting his eyes at their intertwined hands.

"Valdez, McLean, Hwang." the coach said. "What's going on? We were at the Grand Canyon. The anemoi thuellai were attacking and—" He zeroed in on the storm spirit cage, and his eyes went back to DEFCON 1. "Die!"

"Whoa, Coach!" Leo stepped in his path, which was a brave feat, even though Coach Hedge was six inches shorter. "It's okay. They're locked up. We just sprang you from the other cage."

"Cage? Cage? What's going on? Just because I'm a satyr doesn't mean I can't have you doing plank push-ups, Valdez!"

Jason cleared his throat. "Coach— Gleeson— um, whatever you want us to call you. You saved us at the Grand Canyon. You were really brave."

"Of course I was!"

"The extraction team came and took us to Camp Half-Blood. We thought we'd lost you. Then we got word the storm spirits had taken you back to their— um, operator, Medea."

"That witch! Wait— that's impossible. She's mortal. She's dead."

"Well, her patron brought her back to life." Iana informed him.