24. either way, we're good

↳ chapter twenty-four ₊˚

↳ chapter twenty-four ₊˚.༄
[# either way, we're good]

LOGICALLY, NO SANE PERSON WOULD LET AN UNSCHEDULED HELICOPTER land at Oakland Airport- until Piper got on the radio. Then it turned out to be no problem. They unloaded on the tarmac, and Iana's gaze strayed toward Piper's.

"What now?" she asked her.

Iana could tell Piper didn't want to be in charge, even with the confident front she tried to put on. The group didn't even have a plan for this. They all thought they would die fighting the giant, but the fates had been kind enough to let them live. Though, they could easily die later down the road. On their way to save Hera, as they tried to save Hera, after saving Hera. They had no idea where to go or if they were even too late.

"First thing," Piper started. "I-I have to get my dad home. I'm sorry, guys."

Iana placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You don't have to apologize."

"Oh- Yeah," Leo nodded along. "I mean, absolutely. He needs you right now. We can take it from here."

"Pipes, no." Mr. McLean had been sitting in the helicopter doorway, a blanket around his shoulders. But he stumbled to his feet. "You have a mission. A quest. I can't-"

"I'll take care of him," said Coach Hedge.

Piper stared at him. The satyr was the last person any of them expected to offer. "You?" she asked.

"I'm a protector," Gleeson said. "That's my job, not fighting."

He sounded a little crestfallen, and Iana tried not to cringe at herself when she recounted seeing him knocked out in the battle. Then Hedge straightened, and set his jaw. "Of course, I'm good at fighting, too." He glared at them all, daring them to argue.

"Yes," Jason said.

"Terrifying," Leo agreed.

"Totally skilled," Iana laid on the praise.

The coach grunted. "But I'm a protector, and I can do this. Your dad's right, Piper. You need to carry on with the quest."

"But..." Piper's eyes looked glossy, staring at her father. "Dad..."

He held out his arms, and she hugged him.

"Let's give them a minute," Jason advised, and they took the pilot a few yards down the tarmac. After a while, they saw Tristan McLean stumble and rushed over to help.

"Got him," Hedge said. The satyr stumbled, but he was strong enough to hold Tristan McLean upright. "I already asked our ranger friend to call up his plane. It's on the way now. Home address?"