14. iana hates confrontation

↳ chapter fourteen ₊˚

↳ chapter fourteen ₊˚.༄
[# iana hates confrontation]

IANA WAS GETTING TIRED OF ALL THE TRAPS BY THIS POINT. OH LOOK, IT'S lasers on the second step, a motion activated trap door on the sidewalk, poisonous spikes that almost impaled Jason, and of course, you can't forget the exploding door bell.

The only reason they were still alive was Leo and Iana. It was like he could smell the traps, and he picked just the right tool out of his belt to disable them. The short haired girl also had a knack of sensing the poison and magic in all of the traps, so her friends were thankful for her warnings.

"You're amazing, man," Jason said.

Leo scowled as he examined the front door lock. "Yeah, amazing," he said. "Can't fix a dragon right, but I'm amazing."

"Hey, that wasn't your—"

"Front door's already unlocked," Leo announced.

Piper stared at the door in disbelief. "It is? All those traps, and the door's unlocked?"

"Whoever owns this mansion must've thought it'd be enough to hold back intruders." Iana muttered, staring at the pristine white door.

Leo turned the knob. The door swung open easily. He stepped inside without hesitation.

Before Jason could follow, Piper caught his arm. Iana didn't bother to eavesdrop, instead choosing to glance outside one more time. The cold nipped at the patches of her exposed skin, tiny specks of snow catching on the ends of her hair.

Piper brought her attention away from the scenery, slightly bumping against her still figure as she ducked inside the building. She sent Iana a look of apology before beckoning her to follow. Their conversation mustn't've gone well.

"Together," Jason was saying to himself. "Yeah, we're doing great with that."

"Hey," Iana scolded him. She may not know what he was referring to, but she wouldn't talk any bad talk about Piper from anyone. "Cut her some slack."

She brushed past him and stepped through the door.

The house was almost pitch black inside, the only light seeping in were from the yard lights outside. A faint glow peeked through the breaks in the thick velvet curtains, the windows almost ten feet tall. Spaced between them along the walls were life-size metal statues.

Their footsteps echoed louder than she'd expected, which only told her that the entry hall was enormous. Despite the darkness, Iana had better vision than she'd expected, being able to make out various shapes in the room; like the sofas arranged in a U at the center of the room, with a central coffee table and one large chair at the far end. Or the massive chandelier glinted overhead. Along the back wall stood a row of closed doors. All of it seemed to glitter gold.