06. leo slander (iana disapproves)

↳ chapter six ₊˚

↳ chapter six ₊˚.༄
[# leo slander]
(iana disapproves)

      THE DAYLIGHT WAS FADING AND IANA FINALLY DECIDED TO WAKE UP THEIR designated driver. Nothing much had happened whilst he was asleep, Iana would have wanted to talk about her cabin mates to Piper but felt like a jerk since she would be excluding Jason. Shaking him awake, she spoke softly. "Leo, we're here."

     Below them, a city sat on a cliff overlooking a river. The plains around it were dusted with snow, but the city itself glowed warmly in the winter sunset. Buildings crowded together inside high walls like the medieval towns told through history and story books. In the center was a castle-esque building, with massive red brick walls and a square tower with a peaked, green gabled roof.

     "Tell me that's Quebec and not Santa's workshop," Leo said.

     "Yeah, Quebec City," Piper confirmed. "One of the oldest cities in North America. Founded around sixteen hundred or so?"

     Leo raised an eyebrow. "Your dad do a movie about that too?"

     She made a face at him, which certainly felt off with her glamorous makeup. "I read sometimes, okay? Just because Aphrodite claimed me, doesn't mean I have to be an airhead."

     "Feisty!" Leo grinned. "So you know so much, what's that castle?"

     "A hotel, I think."

     Leo laughed. "No way."

     But as they got closer, Iana saw she was right. The grand entrance was bustling with doormen, valets, and porters taking bags. Sleek black luxury cars idled in the drive. People in elegant suits and winter cloaks hurried to get out of the cold. Oh, the things money could buy.

     "The North Wind is staying in a hotel?" Leo asked. "That can't be—"

     "Heads up, guys," Jason interrupted. "We got company!"

     Iana looked around frantically until she saw what was below them. Rising from the top of the tower were two winged figures— like angry angels, with obnoxious-looking swords. Festus didn't like the angel guys. He swooped to a halt in midair, wings beating and talons bared, and a rumbling sound came from his throat that made Iana worry it was gonna do something bad.

     "Steady, boy," Leo muttered.

     "I don't like this," Jason shook his head. "They look like storm spirits."

     At first she thought he was right, but as the winged figures got closer, she could tell they were much more solid than storm spirits. They looked like regular teenagers except for their icy white hair and feathery purple wings. Their bronze swords were jagged, like icicles. Their faces looked similar enough that they might have been brothers, but they definitely weren't twins. One was the size of an ox, with a bright red hockey jersey, baggy sweatpants, and black leather cleats. The guy clearly had been in far too many fights, because both his eyes were black, and when he bared his teeth, several of them were missing.