10. down the drain

↳ chapter ten ₊˚

↳ chapter ten ₊˚.༄
[# down the drain]

     IANA HAD A LOT ON HER MIND BY THE TIME JASON WOKE UP, COURTESY OF the lovely shadow that had decided to accompany her again. She was getting sick of its presence, following her around with a purpose she didn't know about. The hardest thing about having a stray being following her around like a lost puppy was... she had no one to confide to.

     Her friends would call her crazy. It was one thing to be deemed a witch, but it was another to be named a mad woman. And, how would she even tell them? Hey guys, so there's this demon-spirit thing that's been following me ever since I was little then it stopped but it appeared again when we got to camp and you guys can't see it for some reason.

     Even thinking about it made Iana doubt herself. She looked over her shoulder to catch a glimpse of the shadow, but it had gone just as soon as it came. A small groan left her lips as her eyes only met the sleeping figure of their amnesiac quest leader, burying her face in her hands.

     "Cyclops!" the voice behind startled her, causing Iana to whip her head around. Jason had just awoken from his unfortunate state of unconsciousness, looking around, dazed.

     "Whoa, sleepyhead." Piper lightly chuckled.

     "D-Detroit," Jason stammered. "Didn't we crash-land? I thought—"

     "It's okay," Leo said. "We got away, but you got a nasty concussion. How you feeling?"

     Iana imagined his head would be throbbing, feeling pity for his injuries.

     "How did you— the Cyclops—"

     "Leo got us out," Iana explained. "Oh, you should have seen him, Jason. He was Amazing! He summoned fire and used this remote thing—"

     "It was nothing," Leo dismissed her.

     Piper laughed from behind. "Shut up, Valdez. We're going to tell him. Get over it." And they did— how Leo single-handedly defeated the Cyclopes family; how they freed Jason, then noticed the Cyclopes starting to re-form; how Leo had replaced the dragon's wiring and gotten them back in the air just as they'd started to hear the Cyclopes roaring for vengeance inside the factory.

     Iana told him about the son of Mercury, the other kid the Cyclopes had claimed to have eaten, the one that spoke Latin and wore a purple shirt, identical to how Jason was. She was hesitant to express her concerns of their possible relation, but knew it would be better for him. Perhaps pieces of his past would start coming back to him.

     "I'm not alone, then," he said like it was a realization. "There are others like me."

     "Jason," Piper said, "you were never alone. You've got us."