13. an unlikely friendship

↳ chapter thirteen ₊˚

↳ chapter thirteen ₊˚.༄
[# an unlikely friendship]

IANA KEPT THINKING ABOUT MADEA'S OFFER. SHE SHOULDN'T EVEN BE considering her words, especially now since the woman is dead. But she kept looking over her shoulder, hearing her words over and over again.

"What are you interested in, dear Iana?" Madea had questioned her whilst Leo lost himself in the aisle of appliances. Her eyes were gleaming with curiosity.

Iana wasn't exactly keen on starting a conversation with the saleswoman. She was even tempted to not answer and simply punch Madea (she really had to work on her anger issues) but she opted for balling her fist as she trained her eyes on Leo's dazed figure. "I'm not exactly sure what you mean,"

The woman chuckled at her, shaking her head lightly. "Of course you know. You're a daughter of Hecate, are you not? We witches must stick together."

Her words gave Iana an uneasy feeling, and she was sure Madea could tell from the way she continued. "By the end of this, we could be working side-by-side for a better future. I could make you into an exceptional witch, just like how Circe taught me. We—"

"If you think offering me empty promises for power is gonna make me switch sides, then think again." Iana cut her off, the ends of her hair threatening to turn red. She scoffed at the thought that the saleswoman assumed an offer on a shining platter of greed would make her betray her own friends.

Madea's expression changed. "But you do wonder about your spirits, do you not?"

Now that had caught her attention. Her head whipped around, a stunned expression plastered on Iana's face. "How do you know that?"

The woman only shrugged with a devious smile. "I could teach you, you know. Teach you how to read people's minds, how to come up with a potion so powerful even the scent alone can succeed in its purpose. Join me, Iana."

That's what she kept on saying. Madea had been so adamant about the fact Iana had to side with her, to side with the giants. But why? What was so special in her even Madea wanted her talents? Iana couldn't think of any.

Eventually, the smoke from the burning department store faded in the distance. Leo said something to the dragon as it shuddered, but her thoughts had consumed her far too much to even engage in a conversation.

A light pat on her shoulder managed to bring her attention back to reality after a while. Iana looked back to find Jason's worried expression. Because of their rearranged seating positions, the lineup went like this; Leo, Piper, Iana, Jason.

"Are you... okay? You just look a bit out of it,"

"I'm fine, just thinking." Iana muttered, looking away from the blond.