09 | lil' red

Omniscient
[ sun, oct 29th 12:22 PM ]
The Valentine Residence

There was a sweet and smoky smell of burning charcoal that overtook the air around the mansion

There was a sweet and smoky smell of burning charcoal that overtook the air around the mansion. The sound of music could be heard playing in the distance.

Ace held Zolina's hand tightly as they walked through the gravel driveway and up the steps of the Valentine home.

The arch top of the front door already had a decorative Thanksgiving wreath delicately hanging from a nail in its centre.

Ace was tense; still trying to decipher whether bringing Zolina around his father was the right decision, or if it was too soon.

"We can leave if you not comfortable, aight?" He opened the door and lead them inside. "Whenever you want, Mama. Just tell me."

"Okay." She lifted their hands and kissed the back of his. "That goes for you, too."

He looked down and smiled at her words, bending his head down to meet her lips. She kissed him briefly, before the sounds of footsteps made her pull away.

Both of them relaxed once they saw that it was only Grant coming down the long hallway.

"Zo!" He unexpectedly pulled Zolina in for a hug when he reached them, making her hand slip away from Ace's. "Wussup?"

"Hey, Grant." She patted his shoulder, laughing at Ace's displeased expression. "How are you? I heard you won a technology award? Congratulations."

"Thank you." He stepped back and smiled, pushing his glasses up. "Can I get you something to drink? Or—"

"Ay, yo." Ace mugged his younger brother. "You'n see me fuckin' standin' here? That's how you gon' do me?"

"My bad." Grant chuckled, holding a hand out to him. "Wussup, Ace. You straight?"

Ace looked down at Grant's hand and frowned, before grabbing him and putting him in a headlock.

"Ace!" Grant yelled out. "Man, chill! I said my bad!"

"Nah, nah. You think 'cause you got a lil' girlfriend now that you a Casanova, or sum'n?"

While the brothers wrestled in the middle of the foyer, Zolina couldn't help but coo over their relationship. She loved seeing Ace interact with his family.

"Is that my Zolina?"

A voice from the stairs caused Zolina's eyes to rip away from the siblings.

"Mrs. V." She smiled widely, watching Ace's mother descend down the steps gracefully. "Hi."

Estelle wore a sleeveless, yellow summer dress that swept the floor as it flowed around her body. Her curls were pinned back into a bun, with a few tendrils loose around her face.