03: Torrent

[reader] sighs and looks down at the street below her. Yu took over her shift on this dark rainy day after Hawks' fans started to affect her patience.

Maybe she should have kept her friendly but distant demeanor up around his fans, she forgot they existed for a second when Hawks was right in front of her. How irresponsible of her.

A fan recorded the entire conversation of Hawks asking for her phone number. She knew he has a lot of fans but to see them right in front of her was startling. They were like rabid bunnies screaming at her for her perceived crimes.

If it was any other day, she might have laughed it off, but after the nth girl and middle age woman came to demean her, [reader] lost it. If it wasn't for the fact these girls were recording her for a reaction she would have hit one of them.

For all the kindness she shows, she still felt anger... just like her father—

I'm not my father. She thinks as she leans back in her seat. I will never be like him. Though they were connected by flesh and blood she choose to act like she wasn't.

Why am I even thinking of that man? It's been years...

Years is an understatement. 

Ding!

[reader] looks down at her phone to see Hawks' text. Her mood lightens and the thoughts of her father fade.

[Egg]: How have you been?

[hummingbird]: You need boundaries.

[Egg]: Eh?

[hummingbird]: (sent an image) 

It was a photo of security cameras. It showed a massive group of girls in the cafe, loitering.

[Egg]: Oooh...

[hummingbird]: You better do something about it. Because the other option is violence.

[Egg]: Hey let's not get to hasty!

[hummingbird]: Oh I won't, my coworker will. Yu has a temper and he will.

[Egg]: Yeah I'll do something

[hummingbird]: Besides hiding, it's been good.

[Egg]: That's good to hear

[hummingbird]: And you?

[Egg]: Busy 😔... I miss your coffees.

[hummingbird]: hmm... I miss my privacy. 

[Egg]: I'm sorry

[hummingbird]: Well if you are free enough to text me, you're free enough to make a comment. 

Hawks grew quiet and [reader] put her phone away, and looked at her wall. Her old sword lay against the wall rusting and unloved. 

Should I display my old sword downstairs? does it fit the cafe? 

Her mind wanders to the old days. To old loves. to old adventures. 

[Egg]: Hey I made a post, hope it helps

[reader] eyes widen and looks at his socials. He did a video replay of the viral hit. Her lips twitch into a smirk.

[hummingbird]: My dear hero.

Hawks stared with a small smile. He could feel the passive aggressiveness in her text. He stared at her last text. It was formal with perfect punctuation. 

[Egg]: Are you studying for your exam?

[hummingbird]: No unfortunately it's too loud to do so.

[Egg]: I'm so sorry

[reader] smirked he was like a hurt puppy trying to win affection. Hawks' is one of the cuter boys she's met, not the cutest but cute nonetheless. It's very fun to tease him. 

Humans are very adorable.

[Egg]: Hey if I'm ever in town or your down in Kyushu, would you like to grab dinner?

[hummingbird]: oh?

[Egg]: If you're willing.

[hummingbird]:  I don't mind.

Hawks grins it was less likely for [reader] to go to Kyushu so he quickly pulls out his calendar looking for a time he has to himself. It was in a few months but he thinks he can go up to the Musutafu area.

[Egg]: I have a few days off in June to hang out.

[hummingbird]: I'll be waiting, hero.

[reader] smiles and falls onto her back. Would this boy be interested in her in the next three months? It might just be a fling, either way [reader] wasn't putting too much of her heart out for him.

Hawks stare at the text and can't help but smile.  Would she remember him? She is a gorgeous girl, and no doubt has hundreds of guys asking her out monthly. Does he even have a chance?

Boom!

[reader] looks up to see Yu storming into the upstairs area. He looked pissed. They locked eyes; red Jewels stare back. On the brink of disaster.

"Need a break?" [reader] asks.

"Yeah."

[hummingbird]: Works call, talk to you later.

[Egg]: Good luck.

[reader] walks down the stairs to find a sea of girls glaring at her. They're still here, like filthy cockroaches. She looks at them, up and down like a predator.

"Welcome to Hiro's Helix cafe; what would you like?" She asks a girl in a high school uniform.

"Stay away from Hawks, whore." She sneers. [reader]'s smile drops eyes settle into a glare. A little rat thought it can play with a cat's patience. 

"Who are you?" [reader] cocks her head to the side.

"I don't matter-" 

"Then your words don't matter, are you buying anything or are you done?" [reader] folds her arms. The crowd takes a step back, her coldness was surprising. 

They stalked her alright, and read every post anybody made about her. They thought they know her, but they didn't. The girl turns to her friends her confidence gone.

"I-"

"I what? Speak up!" [reader] snaps freaking them out more. The group flinched and stayed quiet.

"Caramel mocha macchiato..." The girl whispers. 

"Will that be it?" [reader] cocks her head to the side staring at her with an intense annoyance. She shakes her head 'No'. The group of teen girls stayed quiet and left after the main girl received her coffee. 

"I'm so sorry you have to experience this dear," An older woman hums in the back. A few other nods.

"It's nothing, this is what happens when young people get delusion and think they are in the game." [reader] smiles.