13: Hashira

The night is cold and long, spring has yet truly taken hold over winter. Hawks puffed his wings out trying to warm himself up. Through the pipeline of hero networking, he has heard the story of a mutilated little girl.

It has been a few days and more mutilation has gone down, all against young women. Hawks frown the oldest was 25 and the youngest 5. He worried for [reader] she's within the age range. He likes to catch the killer before anyone else dies.

Hawks' wings stretch out as he takes fly, so far nothing. As he flies by he notices something dashing right past. His feather shot after the person. His feathers were slashed up by a sword.

The figure, a woman from the building turns to him, and a fox masked greets him. He lands before her, eyes narrowing at this person. They are shady, and she's in a strange uniform.

"Who are you?"

"Hashira." The woman explains her voice honey-smooth.

"What are you doing?" Hawks narrowed his eyes, he never heard of that name before, maybe she was a new hero?

"Hunting the woman killer."

"Let's team up." The woman looks away before sighing.

"Alright."

"Where are you heading?"

"That way," She points straight in front of her. "I'm checking every remote area, all the murders were in less populated areas." Hawks nods.

"Lead the way," He takes flight.

Hashira is fast, she ran far faster than any hero he's met. must be her quirk. She jumped the gap between buildings and ran to the alleyways. Hawks watches as she peers down each alleyway before running off. How she didn't get tired, he didn't know.

[reader] frowns, where was it? Its scent was strong around the area but the exact location alluded her eyes. She groans and jumps down into the alleyway. She'll track the demon from down there. Hawks landed next to her.

"This place is a maze, you look through up there," she points upward. Hawks nods as his feather shoots out.

[reader] sniffed the air and caught the strong scent of a demon. She hid from the smell. The sound of ripping flesh and eating caught her attention. She looked back to see if Hawks was paying attention. She saw a feather trailing her. Damn, she didn't trust it.

Hawks fly right past her towards the sound of eating, She curses under her breath and runs after the hero. She wasn't gonna let him die to a demon. She rounds the corner to see Hawks brandishing a long feather at the demon.

The look of horror was written all over his face. The look of disgust was evident and clear for all to see. She understood his feelings— demons are disgusting. She grabbed the hero and pulled him back.

"Careful, he looks dangerous."

"Back me up and we got this," Hawks grumble. From the corner of his eyes, he saw a purple blade being brandished by Hashira.

Hawks dash forward, but the demon dashes away. It's far faster than any human— Hawks might be fast but the demon is out of his league.

"Shit, let's go!" He takes flight and begins the chase. [reader] talks off after the demon, it was going to attempt to lose them in all the turns and confusion of the crowd.

[reader] slows and takes a corner to lose Hawks. She quietly followed the scent. It was going to the underground metro station. The metro station must be their main hideout besides abandoned buildings. She slips into the metro and silently follows the demon.

It's funny really. A demon killing her own kind. Truly funny.

These demons are far weaker than one of the past, they were naïve to the existent of her. She'll use it until she can't.

[reader] dash forwards and swings her award at the neck killing the unexpected demon. She turns around and walks away. These killings of women weren't connected. Demons ate what they thought was tasty. Apparently, young women were the tastiest, but she wouldn't know.

"There you are," Hawks lands next to her, "where were you?"

"Checking the underground's making sure that thing didn't go there," she explains calmly.

"And?"

"Nothing."

"Damn it." Hawks frowns as he readjusts his sunglasses. "We should report the body."

[reader] watches as Hawks' attention turns away from her to his phone. She took that opportunity to vanish from his field of attention.

"Yu," [reader] calls out as she hid her sword away and stripped out of her old uniform, and back into her clothes.

"Yeah?"

"They keep multiplying, I fear another Muzan is here."

"Do you think we'll need to call upon them? Will you bring back the demon slayer crop?" Yushiro pushes the door open.

"I rather not, but if I must I will. It's only a few murders I hope I can find the progenitor before it spreads." [reader] sighs as she stares at her old sword.

"We don't have Hashiras to rely on."

"I know and I don't want to bring the kamados back into this either." Yushiro sighs and sits down at the table.

"What do we do?"

"I do not want to expose the world to demons yet, maybe just inform the heroes. Keep it as low-key as possible."

"It's up to you," Yu hums as he pets Chachamaru, the calico beauty.

"I'm going to give this another night, I need to find their stronghold. These demons aren't like the past ones, they work in groups." She notes. That first night demons arrived she had killed over 10 as they fled from the sun.

"Do you think the old weakness still applies to them?"

"Yes. The sword still works and the demons flee from the sun. So far I haven't seen any demonic art. They might be too new to figure that out." Demon arts aren't second nature, it is something to discover them it becomes second nature.

"Somebody is playing with power they don't understand."

"Do you think it's your father?" Yushiro asked grimly. [reader] froze and frowns.

"No, my father would have turned more people and made himself known." Father wasn't the type to hide his power. [reader] believes if this was her father he already knows the demon slayers are no more; therefore, he could do as he pleases.