09: Ink and Blood

"You should probably head home soon," [reader] looks up to find Present Mic setting a coffee down on her desk. He gives her a smile. "It's late and you should get some sleep."

"I'm almost done." She whispers as she readjusts her ponytail.

"You already help us plenty," Midnight hums as she takes another large stack of graded papers off her desk. "You need a break."

"I'm fine," really [reader] is fine. She had no need to sleep, nor did she feel tired.

"Young people like you really like to push themselves plus ultra huh?" Present Mic sighs. [reader] cringes but stayed silent. She only had 40 tests left, another 4 hours.

"It's another 4 hours, I'll be fine."

"It's 2 in the morning!"

"And?"

"Young people need their sleep." The gruff voice of Eraser Head steps in taking her coffee cup from her desk. [reader] chuckles and leans back and her chair squeaks under her.

"None of you meet a university student? pulling all-nighters are common, beside I'm barely tired." She locked eyes with Eraser Head, he didn't like her. She's too young to be a teaching assistant. It didn't matter if she was a genius and graduated college years before her peers, she was still immature in his eyes. He took a sip of the coffee and walked away.

"You don't have to prove yourself—"

"There is nothing for me to prove, I just don't like leaving anything half-assed." She sighs a hint of disdain filled her tone. The old memories of her tumultuous past flood in.

Her father.

Her lovers.

All her dead friends.

Smash!

[reader] blinks and stared at her hand. The pungent smell of sickly sweet chemicals hits her strongly. She opens her fist to find her fingers and palm-stained obsidian black. She broke her fountain pen. She silently pulled out a long thin curved piece of metal.

"Are you ok?"

[reader] looks up her [color 2] eyes meet three sets of concerned eyes.

"Perfectly fine," [reader] mutters.

"Your bleeding all over the desk."

"I see." She smiles with a shrug before standing up to rinse off the ink from her hand.

The three looked at each other, and her once calm taps of her pen turns into one thunderous snap. Midnight picked up the remnant of [reader]'s pen. It was made sturdy and from good quality material.

"How did she shatter this?" The voice hero mumbles, "She broke it like it was a candy cane."

"I find her suspicious." Eraser Head finally spoke up. He had no idea why Nedzu pick such a young girl. She's barely older than the students and quirkless. She can not protect the students.

Aizawa stared at the broken piece of the broken pen and frowns. Maybe she's hiding her power, he likes to see medical records of her, she's hiding her true power.

[reader] stared at the cut, she pulled on her flesh causing the cut to gape open, oozing blood. The strong scent of Wisteria wafts from her blood, sweat, and sickly.

She stuffs her cut with gauze and bandages it up. Her hands were still stained with the ink, but she removed enough for the smell of ink to no longer bother her.

She returns to the office to find her stack of ungraded papers gone.

Don't tell me.

"Go home." [reader] turns to look at Eraser Head.

"You've done enough, there are probably more papers tomorrow, take your first day easy," Present Mic smiles.

"Alright," she states after a while, she knows when she's not wanted. She picked up her bag and walks out.

"She's trying too hard."

"I don't mind that mentality but she needs rest, it's not good for her health."

"Honestly, she doesn't really act like a young adult."

Their words filled her head as she turns the corner in the halls. Their voice was loud, their gossip annoying.

[reader] stared at her hand. Her blood stopped flowing. She stared at her hand as the cut slowly begins to vanish. She pulled out a large bandage and slapped it on.

[reader] pulled her phone out and found a text message from Hawks.

[Egg]: First day good?

[Hummingbird]: It's fine. Taught a class and graded some papers, but nothing much.

[Egg]: for a first day it is

[Hummingbird]: I guess.

[Egg]: it seems like nothing phases you

[Hummingbird]: can't phase what can't be impressed. I've seen a lot.

[Egg]: Aren't I older than you?

[Hummingbird]: How old are you?

[Egg]: 22

[Hummingbird]: we are around the same age.

[Egg]: am I older?

[Hummingbird]: yeah.

[Egg]: then you should show me some respect.

[Hummingbird]: I don't respect what I think is mediocre.

[Egg]: Owch 😔

[Hummingbird]: I respect people through their actions.

[Egg]: I see

[Hummingbird]: I can't respect what I don't know.

[Egg]: if you wanted to know me you just had to ask

[reader] had a suspicion that the winged hero was smirking as he wrote that. How funny. How cute. How cocky—breaking that will be entertaining.

[Hummingbird]: I think I know you very well. A young boy with a good quirk wants to be a hero. With luck and skills becoming number 3 within his first 5 years of heroism. Am I right?

[Egg]: you did your research I'm so honored

[Hummingbird]: well that was the big story for like three years.

[Egg]: tell me about yourself.

[reader] frowns. Where does she begin... does she begins?

No.

[Hummingbird]: Who wants to know?

[Egg]: Me

[Hummingbird]: Do you deserve to know?

[Egg]: Must I beg?

[Hummingbird]: I won't oppose to it.

[Egg]: your such a tease, little vixen.

[Hummingbird]: Your easy to tease Puppy.

Hawks smirk, puppy? That's new. Never once has anyone called him a puppy. He wanted to hear [reader] call him that in person, if she has the confidence.

[Egg]: your Bold

[Hummingbird]: what can I say, I know what I want.

[reader] set her phone down. She sighs and looks at the old sword on her wall. Its purple blade glints in the light. Its handle was old and worn, falling apart but it adds to its personality.