15: Festive Violence

[reader] started at the crowd. The media were swarming the entrance, waiting to be vetted and enter UA grounds. She pushed her way forward and entered the grounds. food stands, civilians, and heroes wander the grounds the atmosphere high and cheerful.

She makes her way to the arena, she watches with the other staff members. The first day is the first year, the second year the day after, and the third year after that. Each day for their fight.

She gazes down at the arena, she sits next to All Might. The students filled in, as Present Mic announced to the crowd all the classes that would be participating. [reader] gazes down, she recognizes a handful of the students. barely 1/5 of the entire first-year students looked familiar.

A blood-filled scent hit my nose and she turned. Her eyes widened, there was a being in the shadows it gazed around like a scared child. It only moved within the shadows of people. It was a demon.

[reader] pulls out her Nichiren knife and stares the creature down. The sound of the festival faded from her mind as she watched the shadow demon hitching a ride in a woman's shadow. She stands up and leaves to follow that woman.

The demon followed her to the bathroom. Synthetic light does not affect demons, For the first time in years Yushiro saw what the dawn could be, to feel light on his skin. [reader] stalked into the bathroom and found the woman screaming. She grabs the demon and flings the bathroom door open. She threw the demon into the sun. It quickly disintegrates into the sun. So the old weakness still works, and that's good.

[reader] quickly walks around the grounds, smelling the air to see if their other demons. The only thing she could smell was the smell of human food. Her stomach twisted, and she walked over to a food stall and bought herself something to each. She needs a good excuse for All Might or anyone who asked her where she went.

She walked back up the arena and sat down to eat her food. All Might turn to her and smile. [reader] tried to pay attention, but her mind kept wandering back to Demons, her past. She looks down at the arena. It was the end of the second round. 

Soon break was called and everyone flooded out for a lunch break. She stayed at the top and stared down into the empty arena. The arena was large, how UA has this kind of money is astonishing to [reader]. This school had so much money yet they were shit at figuring out which students should be heroes or not. 

A few classes she helped out in, most of them were general education. Many had the same sorry story. Their quirks weren't heroic enough, weren't flashy enough, and were practical against robots. One kid stood out to her, his quirk brilliant but he failed for his quirk does not work against robots. This school cares too much about reputation instead of making heroes who could evolve the professions. They only allow one type of hero to pass. The flashy physical power.

Ring!

She pulled out her phone, "Kou?"

"Did you see that? These new students are so hardcore."

"I see, they're very good."

"I can't wait to work with them."

"Well, yours is tomorrow."

"Yeah, but you know no one watches the 2nd years. It's always the experience 3rd years or the new 1st years." Kou complains on the phone. She smiles dryly at his words. Those words were absolutely correct. second years are forgotten about. 

"Aren't you excited to get your hero license this year?" [reader] changes the subject.

"Uh, yeah, Aunty I get to be a full-on hero! I can help people!" He cheers.

"Well, do your best." She smiles taking another bite of her food. Her young descendant hung up.

[Egg]: How's the sports festival?

[Hummingbird]: It's good the first years are quite remarkable.

[Egg]: Any I should consider?

[Hummingbird]: You might consider Tokoyami or Iida, from class 1A. Consider Monoma Or Tokage, from class 1B.

[Egg]: Cool I look into them. How's your nephew?

[Hummingbird]: Good, very excited to get his hero provisional license.

[Egg]: I can drop by tomorrow

[Hummingbird]: We can have lunch.

[reader] gets up and walks down throwing away her trash. She sees Principal Nedzu walking up to her. He gives her a polite bow and approaches her.

"Ah, Ms. Gojo, can you deliver these papers to Present Mic? It's stuff for the next day." Nedzu smiles.

"Alright," She took the paper and began to walk to the announcement tower. 

Knock Knock.

"Come in." [reader] opens the door to see Present Mic eating and Eraser Head sleeping. "What up, Gojo."

"Nedzu wanted me to give this to you." She hands over the papers. Present Mic dusted off his hand and took the papers. It was on all the students so he could announce them. He gives her a polite smile and scans through them.

"It's courtesy, but I already know all the students, I'm the homeroom for Class 2B." The blonde states.

"So you have to deal with my Nephew."

"Oh yes, he's a fun student when he's not interrupting class," She sighs and nods.

"Of course," [reader] mutters.

"He's a good kid."

The festival continues. The one-on-one battles were grandeur. It almost brought her back to the final battle she had with her father.  The ice wall created by Todoroki heavily reminded her of Douma. poor Sero he couldn't show off his skills. Clearly, he was strong but his quirk is no match to one like Todoroki's.

The fight against Bakugou and Ururaka was also shocking. Besides the crowd being incredibly misogynistic, they underestimated Ururaka. She wasn't a dumb girl, she was smart and had a good plan. She fought until she couldn't a great show of her will.

 The fight against Mydoria and Todoroki was grand.

The violence and the sheer hard work were astonishing. The human body can only endure so much and Mydoria clearly was in pain, yet he kept going. Humans are such marvelous creatures. Their will is strong, and their ability to keep fighting past the pain is a sign of true will. Mydoria lost but it seemed he rattled his opponent. He looked shell shock and out of it.

The final battle was... disappointing. It seemed like Todoroki had given up. in the head, Bakugou had one, and he didn't seem like he enjoyed winning a battle as poor as the final one.  Bakugou threw a tantrum because he won in a way he didn't want to. 

how childish.