10: Paper and Lattes

The stack of papers seemed endless. So many classes so many tests so many letters. Her mind was melding the letters together Cs turned into Ds. [reader] needed to look at something else.

It's been a few days, and she fell into a rhythm. Helping teachers if needed and going through students' tests.

"Ms. Gojo," she looks up to see Nedzu walking in.

"Yes?"

"You did a good job teaching the history class," the rodent smiles.

"Thank you."

"Your major is in ancient history yet you seem to be well informed about recent quirk history." The Principal hums.

"It's a special interest of mine, I quite enjoy learning about the mad dash for security in the time quirks first appear. It's very fascinating." [reader] smiles, but she feels tired of smiling. Smiling to defuse the situation is such a pain.

"I see," Nedzu nods.

"Ms. Gojo?" [reader] looks up to see a few students from class 1B standing around her.

"Yes?" She asked with a kind smile.

"Can you give us any pointers?"

"You know this isn't a group project right?"

"We know but we work together to get the base information. We wanted your opinion of our research?" They shyly spoke. [reader] kindly took their paper and scan over it.

"It's excellent," she hands the paper back, "Don't forget it's about your point of that time so your research must back it up, this is a good nonjudgmental start." The students smile before bowing and leaving the office.

"You get along with them very well." Midnight muses from her cubical.

"It's good to have a respectful relationship with the students." [reader] hums as she clicks her pen. 

"Your young in age," Present Mic jumps in, "You must disambiguate between respect and friendships—"

"I am very aware of my status and age Present Mic," She interrupts, "I don't need a lecture." She gives a thin pressed smile. The man nods after some time taken aback by the annoyance in her tone.

"I see."

"But, thank you for your consideration," [reader] smiles. 

Aizawa studies the new assistant. She's conventionally beautiful but there was something off about her— nothing villainous, but perplexingly odd about her. It didn't matter as long as she keeps it professional and logical their relationship can be cordial, even if he didn't like her.

"Here you go, Eraser Head." She hands him the paperwork he asked to be copied. He gives a curt nod before the robot took it for him. He was still too injured to hold anything as thin as paper. He looks down at the paper. She highlighted the important part twenty times— for all his students.

He felt himself scoffing before standing up. She's going all out— it was not necessary. His students didn't need to be babied by her. 

Ding.

[Egg]: How are you?

[reader] smiles and quickly replies before setting it away. She had more papers to copy. She stared at the pile of English homework— all the classes are taught the same thing and she had homework to print— UA participates in the arcane way of homework so students can't cheat using Ai.

"Oh," [reader] calls out, "Present Mic I have your papers." The hero took a few steps back so she could hand the stack of paper to him. Education never stops— like the ocean, it comes and retreats. For every movement of the ocean, it felt the same for school. The exact process every year, every semester, every test. 

How mundane.

How lovely.

How human.

[reader] had a few hundred copies needed to make for the students for the sports festival. Papers for parents to sign, papers and rules, papers for days. By the time she finished, she believe she alone obliterated 5 trees.

She sat the papers on the desk of each teacher except for Eraser Head, who probably couldn't carry them with those injuries. She makes her way to his classroom, it was right before lunch. she quietly knocks on the door and drops the papers off at the teacher's desk. 

[reader] stared at the printing machine it continue to print out a fat stack of paper for the teachers— tomorrow a meeting with UA and the police over the sports festival, she's invited but it wasn't necessary for her to go. She looks out of the printing room the sun was kissing the sky goodbye as the moon rose higher. She checked her phone— it was getting colder as the night wears on. 

"Don't stay here too long," Midnight pokes her head in, "it might rain."

"All right," [reader] looks up with a smile. She sat all the papers in the office room the meeting will be taking place before gathering her stuff up. She made her way to the elevator to find Eraser Head inside. She quietly enters, there's no need to speak to him. Their coworkers not friends.

Ring!

She looks at her phone Yu had texted her.

[Old man Yu]: I saw one, they're back.

She tightens her grip on her phone and lets out a long sigh. 

[reader]: I'll drop by the cafe.

"It's late you shouldn't be stopping by a cafe." Eraser Head spoke up. [reader]'s eyes slide over to the wrapped-up man. 

"Thank you for your concern, but it's impolite to read somebody's text messages." She turns to him with a smile, but her eyes bore into his dull ones. 

"The meeting is early in the morning—"

"I know," The elevator door opens, "I'll be there."

Aizawa lets out a huff and groans. Why did he even try? Young people really be disrespecting their elders. He walked to Present Mic's parked car. They pull out of the teacher's parking lot and down the streets. 

"She shouldn't be walking alone." Present Mic mutters before pulling over and lowering his window.

"Ms. Gojo," Yamada calls out.

"Ah Present Mic," She walks up to the car.

"Are you walking home?"

"No, I need to stop by my old cafe. It's not that far." The pro-hero nods.

"You want a ride?"

"It's only a 5-minute walk from UA."

"It's no big deal, I can drive you," Eraser Head let out a grunt of protest, which Present Mic smack in response. 

"Mhm," She thinks, "If you insist." She gave them the street address as she sits down. The ride was silent and peaceful. They pulled up to a cute cafe, one both have never seen.

"Is it open?"

"Yup, I co-own it and it's 24 hours." She smiles at them. Present Mic let out a long whistle before smiling. He nudges the passenger princess to check it out.

"We might get something here," Present Mic smiles.

"Be my guess, we specialize in coffee." She smiles and walks into the cafe.

"Yu," She calls out. Yu reappeared from the storage room a slight scowl on his face. She sat her things down behind the counter and begin to make an order for herself.

"What would you guys like?"

"Black."

"Vanilla Latte."

"Coming right up."

"When did this place open?" The familiar question asked.

"Last year."

"I never heard of this place, Hiro's Helix Cafe?" Present Mic mutters seeing the logo on his coffee cup.

"We don't really advertise."

"Why?" Eraser Head asked.