S1 ⭒ Finale

"This dream isn't feeling sweet..."
Ribs • Lorde.

SEEDS OF DOUBT

Priscilla Wolfe

I'm running.

Running like I've never fucking ran before.

Straight to Daisy.

I bust through her bedroom with my heart pumping in my ears and slam the double doors behind me, even going so far as to lock it and barricade my body against it. My chest heaves as I stare at her, mid-conversation with Santana.

"Well hey there Darlin'," She laughs, "Who lit a fire under your ass?"

"Bates. He's Bates. Halen is Bates, and I talked about him like he wasn't right in front of me and oh-ho-ho..." I grunt in frustration as the feeling starts to settle. I stomp my foot and walk across the room to sit between the two of them, "He knew! He knew the entire fucking time and he played me. He made me talk about him like I—aughhhhhhhh!" I grab a pillow and for the first time since I was a teenager, feel the need to scream bloody murder into it, "This isn't happening. Please tell me this isn't happening."

My whole body is hot. I'm feeling too much. I'm confused, angry, annoyed, flustered, frustrated. I have so many questions and too many that I'm afraid to ask. I've never, never—felt like this before.

"Well, it's about time you found out."

"Excuse me?" I lift my head and look at her, "You knew?"

"Santana told me right before you walked in." Daisy giggles, pulling a blue raspberry lollipop from between her lips, "He's making you burnin' up, ain't he?" She feels my face and shakes her head in disbelief.

I push her hand away and direct my anger toward Santana, who's silently laughing, "You knew! You knew and you didn't tell me?!" I use the pillow to hit him upside the head.

He throws his head back laughing.

"Okay, relax, relax, relax..." Daisy takes the pillow from me and puts a hand on my back, "It can't be that bad, Pearl. You should be happy he's here. Now that you know who he is, you two will get along better."

"Daisy." I sharpen my tone to invoke my seriousness, "I told him that Bates put other men to shame. I told him that he was basically a God. I practically got on my knees and kissed his boots. He let me go on, and on, and on, and on, about how fantastic he was." Saying out loud only makes it worse.

"You did not." Santana says doubtfully.

My eye twitches as I look at him.

"Oh," He laughs harder, "I'm sorry, baby. You're right, I should've told you."

"You think?" I stand up and fan my face, pacing in front of her coffee table, "This is terrible, this literally cannot happening. I don't want it to happen. Why wouldn't he tell me from the get-go when I mentioned Bates? Why wouldn't Fox use his other name when introducing us? Why was this kept form me for so long? Now, he's my partner, and he's trying to make me change how I work, and we have to... to share a bedroom."

"I've never seen you this worked up over someone before." Daisy snaps me out of my trance on the wall, "Do you have a crush on him?"

"A crush? Are you kidding? On Halen? I won't even entertain that idea it's so ridiculous."

"If you don't, then why're you here? It looks to me like you found out and then ran like a schoolgirl," She snorts, "You totally have a crush on Bates, and by extension, Halen."