Chapter 8: Comfort In Ending

It's approaching two weeks since the break up. Halloween night looms over the Bringston's campus. On this night of tricks and treats anything is bound to happen. Since Simone's life has been so intense lately, she's looking for a treat. She's in desperate need for some fun. She's been so busy with tennis, classes, and work. Ever since the break up with Jordan, she has been doing two a day practices and picking up extra shifts at work when she can. Pro tournaments are approaching, so she is trying to keep her eye on the prize. She wants to make top 6. That's what she's been working for all semester.

In the last 2 weeks, Simone has barely had any communication with Damon beyond basic pleasantries. They're friends, but not at all in the same way that they used to be. Despite being confident that the break up was the right thing, Simone still feels guilty about cheating with Damon. She can't allow herself to have the same access to him as she did before, or for him to have the same access to her. It doesn't help that she doesn't feel like she deserves it. She's been working herself into the ground. Hasn't been processing her emotions. Just holding it all in, but tonight she might actually do something about it.

Damon has finally taken the DNA test to find out if Celine is his birth mom. The results should be coming any day now, but he is still unsure if he's ready to find out the truth. There's no turning back now. He's found ways to occupy his mind. He's been getting closer to Thea since their first date. He does enjoy her company and he likes her, but still something is missing. She's not Simone. She never will be. As far as he knows, Simone is working things out with Jordan, and he cannot be with her. He misses her. He misses his friend, and even though they are still friends, it's not the same friendship that they had before. He knows that it can never be the same as it used to be. Since he can't tell Simone how he feels, he does what many guys do when they can't work out their feelings. They hit the gym.

Meanwhile, Amara has figured out who Veronica Skinner is. She's the sister of her old friend, Jada, who she broke into the medical facility with. Amara doesn't understand why Veronica is holding a grudge especially when her and Jada are cool, or why she would do something so reckless as a board member. Amara is also still working on her story about the financial issues that Bringston might be having. She takes a break from doing research and heads to the caf to grab lunch. On the way there she spots Simone.

"I've barely seen you these past few weeks. Are you hiding from me or are you just that busy?"

"Hey auntie. I haven't been hiding. Yes I have been that busy. Between school, work, tennis and..." She pauses.

"And what? What's going on? Did something happen when you went to LA? I haven't really seen you since you left for break."

"Jordan and I broke up."

"I'm so sorry baby girl. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine auntie." Amara looks at her in disbelief. "I'm fine...really. I'm just trying to focus on school and the pro tournaments coming up soon. I have to keep my head in the game."

"Okay well if you need me, I am here." She places her hand on Simone's cheek and rubs it softly with her thumb. "And just remember that it's okay not to be okay. She gives Simone a soft smile as she walks off.

After the gym, Damon is walking back to the dorm. He finds Thea doing the same and they end up walking together. As they engage in casual conversation, JR approaches.

"Hey Damon, I've been trying to get in contact with you."

Damon looks agitated. "What's good bro?"

"It's about Celine." Before continuing he pauses looking at Thea.

"It's all good. She knows everything."

"DNA test results came in... She's your mother. We're brothers man." Damon looks away from JR. "Look man I know this isn't easy, but ignoring me, and our mother isn't going to help anything"