Chapter 16: Love Don't Change

Damon comes back to school. The following chapter roughly follows the events of 2x10 and very slightly trickles into 2x11. Week 2 of pledging.

"Hey... Damon. I know you don't want to talk, but I just want to let you know that I was thinking about you. I can't imagine what you might be going through right now so, I don't want to overwhelm you. Just know that we're all here for you when you're ready to talk. I'm here for you when you're ready to talk." After another failed attempt, Simone is leaving Damon a voicemail as she's on her way to American History. Entering the building, she runs into Nate as she is finishing up the voicemail.

Catching Simone's final words in the voicemail Nate inquires, "Any luck?"

Simone sighs, "Nahh, I got his voicemail again."

Lando comes up behind them? "Who? Damon? How's he doing anyway?"

Simone looks back at him. "Not sure. We haven't been able to get in contact with him."

"Dang. The baseball team has sent him some messages too. But no responses there either. I thought he might at least respond to y'all though. He must really be going through it."

As they all sit down preparing for class, Simone gives Lando a soft smile. "Well, if I get in contact with him, I'll let him know you asked about him."

It's now Thrusday. It's been four days since the news broke of Xavier's passing. The Bringston fam proceeds with sports and classes per usual. They've all reached out to Damon and left messages for him separately and in the group chat, but he hasn't responded. While everyone is choosing to give him necessary space, Simone remains persistent in her efforts. Of course she's not calling and texting him all day. Between, classes, PKZ, and getting her head in the game for her upcoming match, she doesn't have time for that anyway. She does find time to make one call and send one text per day though.

After four days of not being able to get in contact with Damon, Simone decides to take a different approach and talk to Keena directly. She has expressed her condolences to Keena already, but since Damon hasn't been responding, she's gotta dig a little deeper. She sends Keena a text after class and Keena responds almost immediately with a call. Keena updates Simone on Damon and the events of the week. The funeral is going to be tomorrow, so they are preparing for that. Xavier already had everything laid out in his will, so not too much weight was put on Keena or Damon to make plans or preparations. They basically just have to show up.

Damon's been pretty quiet and has been keeping to himself. Keena hasn't seen him shed any tears though. He seems pretty numb. He's thinking about returning to school on Saturday evening so he can attend JR's remission celebration on Sunday, and so doesn't miss midterms next week. He would just end up having to make them up on top of catching up anyway. Simone wonders if that is too soon, but it's not like she can talk to him about it or talk him out of it, so she's not going to push the matter. After talking for a few minutes, Simone let's Keena know that she is there for them if they need anything. Keena let's her know that she will keep her updated. They will share a few more phone calls going forward.

After finishing up classes and attending practice, Simone heads over to the PKZ house. Upon arrival she finds out that Aqueelah, a few of the other big sisters, and a few of her line sisters are sick. They're unsure if it's contagious, so they recommend that the pledges stay away for the night, and encourage them to continue following the rules. Anyone who has been in direct contact with the sick sisters and pledges are either staying at the house or going back to their rooms to isolate until they know more. Simone is relieved because she has been in desperate need for a break. She goes to pick up some food for dinner and heads back to the dorm to spend the night relaxing in her room. She runs into Lando at the elevator.