Chapter 5: Cracks in Mr. Perfect

Nate finally gets Thea to come out to the party with her, Simone and Keisha. It takes some convincing, but Thea agrees to go out with them. While the girls are out drinking and dancing a bit, JR and Damon happen to walk by them. "What's good y'all," JR inquires. "It's been a minute since we've all been together." As everyone is speaking to one another, Simone and Damon exchange awkward hellos. Nate, who is always paying attention, grabs Simone and comes up with an excuse as to why the girls have to leave. When they walk off, Damon is silent for a moment as he stares at the ground. JR notices that for the first time Damon isn't watching Simone as she walks away. This confirms to him that something is definitely up with them. "I know you said it was nothing, so I'm not gonna ask, but just know I know something is up." Damon looks at JR saying, "Whatever lets just go get some drinks."

While Damon and JR are partying, Damon notices Lando across the way. Since their interaction earlier in the day was a bit off. Damon decides to go and try to make sure that everything is good between them. Lando gives Damon an unpleasant look as he approaches but that doesn't stop Damon from going over to talk to him.

"What's good Lando? This parties kinda lit, huh?" Lando just stands there, staring at Damon. "I'm not sure what your beef is with me. I'm just trying to help change the image of HBCU sports."

Lando responds, "And so are we."

"Aight then we good. We should all be on the same page, right?

"Nah not really. You're really just using this as an opportunity to boost your brand."

"That ain't true. But even if I was, it seems like you're trying to do the same thing with me. Embarrass the MLB prospect so you can boost your own image. That's why you were trying to show me up earlier right?"

"I'm just returning the favor," Lando says in a snarky tone.

"Maannnn what are you even talking about?"

"Well, I was supposed to come to Bringston this fall. Shaw scouted me and everything, and then here you came with your big press conference and announcement. Suddenly you were interested in going to an HBCU and I was out. Bringston wasn't checking for me no more because now they had the great Damon Sims. My whole family graduated from here and now that's legacy out the window just because you wanted to come here and prove a point. Now you tell me how that's supposed to help me?" Lando storms off bumping Damon's shoulder. Damon is left there pondering  for a moment.

A little later, Thea leaves the party alone. As she is heading back to the dorm, she sees Damon sitting on a bench alone. She stops to check on him because she can see that he obviously has some things on his mind. Damon appreciates her kindness, but says that he doesn't want to talk about it, so Thea lets him know that she is going to the common area in the dorm to watch A Different World. She asks him if he wants to join her to help take his mind off of things. Damon accepts her offer and they go to chill in the dorm.

While Damon and Thea are sitting together on the couch watching the show, Nate, Simone and Keisha get off the elevator to head to their rooms. Simone has every intention of acting like she does not see Damon and Thea sitting there together, but Thea stops her for a moment. "Hey Simone don't forget that you and I are training together tomorrow." Simone fakes a smile as she turns to face them. "Thanks for the reminder. I'll see you tomorrow." As the girls turned the corner, Simone can tell that Nate and Keisha want to say something, but she stops them. "Nope, I don't even wanna hear it." Meanwhile, after seeing Simone, Damon decides that it's time for him to go to bed. "Thanks for cheering me up, but I think imma head to bed now. I'll catch you later."

The next day they are finishing up the showcase with the actual baseball game. Simone, Nate, and Keisha decide to attend the game. The game goes pretty smoothly until it is time for Lando to pitch and Damon is up to bat. First, Lando purposely throws a curveball that almost hits Damon. Damon shakes it off. Then Lando throws a fastball. Daman shakes that off as well. Finally, Lando throws a curveball so fast and so hard that it hits Damon on his shoulder. Damon can tell by the look of satisfaction on Lando's face that he did it on purpose. Damon charges at Lando in a seemingly aggressive manner, and his teammates run to the mound to have his back.