Chapter 10: Here to Stay

Simone is knocked out of the pro-tournament in it's last few days, and since she did not make the top 6, her hopes for playing tennis in the spring have faded. Though she may be able to fill in for injured players and for doubles matches. After all of the hard work that she's put in this semester, it's hard for her to not feel left out but she keeps pushing forward. She focuses on what she can control. That's continuing to hone her skills. She hits the tennis courts to practice.

Meanwhile, Coach Marcus is still MIA because he is still suffering from his current depressive episode. The baseball team is gathered and waiting to hear who is going to coach them for their final game of the semester. Zeke has found a solution in Jesse Raymond Sr, but after finding out the truth about their parents, JR and Damon are very displeased. Jesse is unaware that they know everything that has happened by now.

Thea is still in the tournament, but she is reaching her final matches. Today, her match is off campus, and Damon is not able to make it. He goes to meet her before the match, but runs into Simone first. She is on the courts practicing.

"Hey, you got another racket?"

"Please don't tell me you're changing sports"

"What? You don't think I'd look good in short shorts?" Damon says I see chuckles.

Simone looks him up and down. "Mmmm no."

They both laugh.

"So, how you feeling about the news?"

"You mean the school potentially closing? It doesn't even feel real honestly. How about you? I know pretty much postponing the MLB for such uncertainty was hard. I'm sure you're wondering if it was all worth it now."

"Nahh I wouldn't say all that, cause then I would've never gotten to know the wise words of Simoonneee Hicckkssss."

Just as Simone is about to respond, Thea walks up. "Hey"

"Oh hey!" Damon says in response. Simone wishes Thea luck at her match and goes back to practicing. Damon and Thea step to the side for a moment to chat before she leaves, and as she is grabbing her bag to go, she reacts to the pain in her shoulder. She says that she is fine, so Damon leaves her be. As she walks off the court she side eyes Simone. It's easier for her feel a way toward Simone than Damon. Simone has always been a threat to her.

A little later, Damon and JR are at baseball practice breaking in their new coach while Keisha, Nate, Simone, and Cam are all out, helping Amara with the save Bringston agenda. Keena, who is still around for the final baseball game of the semester, is on a mission to help Marcus. She told Damon that she would stay out of it but as a mother, she just can't help herself but to get involved. It also helps to keep her mind busy about the Xavier mess.

Damon is still processing the fact that Jesse is his new coach, and he has to get it off of his chest before he goes to the Greek showcase. He goes to see Jesse and let's him know that he's aware of what happened between him, Celine and Xavier. Damon feels like he shouldn't be the only one to burden and face the truth about their decisions, and since Xavier can't own up to his part in this, Damon will make sure that Jesse does.

While Damon is talking to Jesse, Simone, Cam and Nate are helping Keisha finish making adjustments to the showcase. They are now trying to raise money to help save Bringston. Keisha is overwhelmed with emotions because Bringston has been her one constant, her one safe space, and now this might be taken away from her too. She feels like her world is crumbling beneath her. Nate and Simone help her maintain focus and encourage her to keep pushing. They believe that they have what it takes to save the school.

Gabby catches them while they're out on the yard.

Gabby: "Hey Keisha, you get everything worked out with Cam?"