The Arrival of the Stags and Lions

However, four days later, Jon was still not speaking to me, and nearly everyone in Winterfell had noticed. Sighing, I moved to head to the Great Hall to help Mother and Maester Luwin with the final preparations, only to have Bran run past me as I yelled, "Brandon, where are you going?" He stopped and glanced over his shoulder at me with a happy smile as I asked, "why are you running?" He continued running as he said, "the King is near," before racing around a corner. Shaking my head, I changed direction to return to my room to change, only to feel someone nudge my shoulder as I said, "I'm sorry, I did not mean to" as they said, "it's fine."

Blinking, I glanced up to find Jon standing in front of me. Taking a deep breath, I nodded before saying, "I should head up to my room to prepare for the King's arrival." With a nod, I stepped around him and hurried upstairs to find Sanira laying a deep blue gown with silver-gray embroidery out for me. Closing the door behind me, I slowly approached her and silently sat down at my vanity. She stepped away from my dress and swiftly began to unplait my hair before pulling the front portion of my hair back. She quickly sectioned it into three sections and braided them, allowing the rest of my hair to fall over my shoulders in gentle waves. "Any man will be silent upon seeing you, milady." Nodding, I lightly brushed a loose strand of hair behind my right ear before standing. Pivoting away from her, I felt the laces of my grey gown loosen until I could step out of it. She gathered it from the floor and placed it in my laundered items as I observed her chosen dress. I gently brushed my fingers over the silver embroidery. Smiling at the delicate roses, I heard Sanira approach and ask, "Milady, is everything well?" I nodded yes, and muttered, "just anxious." With a comforting hand, she softly said, "then we best get you dressed. You can't meet the King of the Seven Kingdoms dressed in small clothes." Nodding, I watched her pick up my gown and help me into it, only to lace it closed.

Sighing to myself, I stared into my full-length looking glass as Sanira happily said, "you look stunning." Nodding with a forced smile, I glanced at her reflection before turning to gather my dove gray and white speckled gray-black fur collar cloak. Throwing it over my shoulders, I quickly hooked the black leather straps in place as I asked, "Sanira, could you make sure Sansa and Arya are dressed?" She nodded as I adjusted the leather straps beneath my chin. "Are you going to the Godswood?" Nodding, I offered her a small, barely there smile. I patted my hip as I walked toward my chamber door while Shadow followed me. Opening the door, we stepped out of my room, and with the skirts of my gown in hand, I sprinted through the corridors of Winterfell toward the Heart Tree to ask the Old Gods for guidance.

Only to hear "good day Lady Ilyanna," "hello, Lady Ilyanna," and "you look lovely, Lady Ilyanna." Offering nods and smiles, I entered the courtyard a few moments later. With a glance to ensure no one was paying too much attention to me, I lifted the skirts of my gown and cloak higher to sprint through the Godswood toward the Heart Tree. Leaping over a dead tree, I slowed my pace to an even walk as the pond we all learned how to swim in grew closer. As I approached the large white tree with red leaves, I felt my breathing slowly, and my heart returned to its average pace.

Silently I walked around the pond, making sure to keep my gown clean of dirt and leaves as I stopped in front of the craved face displayed in the bark of the Heart Tree. With another deep breath, I sat down upon the stone seat, tucking my cloak beneath my behind before clasping my hands in my lap while Shadow lay down beside my feet as I closed my eyes, hoping my thoughts would reach the Gods. I do not know how long I sat there, lost in my dreams, praying that the Gods would forgive me for keeping Papa's secret from those I loved, only to hear the leaves rustle. Opening my eyes, I unclasped my hands and moved to stand when I heard the crunch of leaves beneath a pair of booted feet. Turning my head, I blinked upon seeing Jon, dressed in his best, wearing the cloak I mended with his hair combed back away from his face standing beside me as I stupidly asked, "what are you doing here?" He stared at me momentarily before glancing at the ground, saying, "Father asked that I come and find you. The King is only a few miles away, and we are to..." Nodding that I understood, I glanced at the Heart Tree for a moment before saying, "of course, thank you for coming to tell me, Jon," as I stood and walked past him with Shadow beside me only to hear a bark. I stopped and blinked upon seeing Ghost a few feet ahead of us, as I smiled a little before saying, "go on, Shadow," only to watch her run toward her brother as I resumed walking once more, knowing that Jon was right behind me.