Discovering Fractures Within the Pack

With a shake and a flash of light, I stared up at a terrified Lehna and Taria. Confused by their appearance, I attempted to push myself up into a seated position as I heard myself slur, "Lehna. Taria, why are you here?" I felt my body fall backward as they reached out and assisted me in sitting upright. Grateful, I muttered my thanks as I glanced about the room, only to find two vases of fresh blue winter roses. "Where is he?" I heard Lehna and Taria glance at each other as I moved to climb out of bed. "My lady!" Blinking, I felt a wave of nausea seconds before they grasped my arms before my legs could give out.

Shakey, I latched onto them, hoping the unsettledness would dissipate as Taria urgently said, "perhaps you should sit and explain what you mean by him." Breathing into my nose and mouth, I said, "Jaime Lannister entered my room through an unknown passageway. We spoke, and then I think he drugged me with something." Lehna sneered as I flexed my fingers against their bare forearms. "He must have left the vases before departing through the passageway." "Did he take advantage of..." I glanced away from their forearms and observed that I was still wearing the gown I donned this morning. "I do not feel any pain suggesting that he took advantage of my unconscious state."

Lehna sighed as Taria gently guided me to my vanity. "Sit, and I will seek out the Grand Maester to tend to you after he has seen to..." Blinking, I asked, "seen to whom?" She glanced away from me to look at Lehna. "Who is the Grand Maester seeing?" Lehna breathed out and said, "your Father. He is here to see to your Father." Anxious, Taria gently said, "several of Lord Baelish's men brought him back to the Red Keep injured after he fought Lannister men outside one of his establishments." Breathing in and out, I vaguely recalled Lannister mentioning a fight after I spied blood on the sleeve of his surcoat. "Did anyone else return with injuries?"

They grew quiet until Lehna bent down in front of me. "Are you certain you wish to know?" I nodded as she took hold of my hands while Taria grasped my shoulders. "Two guards and Jory Cassel were killed in the schism. Lord Stark was the only one to survive because he was spiked through the leg and left in the street." I felt my eyes well with tears as I asked, "where is my Father," realizing that it was likely Jory's blood-staining Lannister's cream Kingsguard surcoat. "The City Watch and Lord Baelish returned him to his room. Maester Pycelle should be there tending to his wound now." Nodding, I released Lehna's hands and dried my eyes. "I must see to him." I moved to stand when Taria shakingly said, "he was calling out a name as they brought him inside, my Lady." Blinking, I glanced upwards and asked, "what was the name?"

Closing her eyes, she uttered, "Lyanna.He was calling out to Lyanna. Maester Pycelle sent a servant off to inform theKing of what happened." Forcing myself to my feet, I shuffled to the door as Lehna said, "my Lady, please, you should rest. Tariaand I will see to your..." I shook my head no, muttering, "Iwill not abandon my Father to the jaws of circling lions poised to bring himdown for a folly caused by another." I grasped hold of the door handle, and with a glance back at my companions, I pleadingly uttered, "afterhe departed the Tower of the Hand, I learned that my Father resigned hisposition. If the King and Queen learn why he fought against Lannister men inthe street, I do not know if there will be a way to ensure he survives." I looked at them each in turn. "If you are true in your pledge to serve me,I beg of you to assist me in ensuring that the Warden of the North survives thenight to explain his actions to an ill-tempered King." With swift nods, they approached and gently wrapped their arms around my waist as they slung my arms about their shoulders. Taria opened the door, and we shuffled out of my room before walking to my Father's chambers.

The three of us sluggishly entered my Father's bedchamber moments later to find him lying across his bed dressed in the shirt and trousers he wore when he departed the Tower. Stepping away from my companions, I approached to discover a yellow cloth tied around his right leg just above his knee. Shuffling forward, I ignored Maester Pycelle and Littlefinger as I sat beside his left hip. Reaching out, I gently touched his forehead to feel that it was slicked with sweat as he burned feverishly. Groaning, he muttered, "Lyanna," before shifting away from me. Sniffling, I held back tears as a hand settled upon my shoulder. "My Lady, your Father, Lord Stark, is delirious with pain. He will not recognize you until the fever has passed." "I am well familiar with fever brought on by injury Grand Maester." Taking hold of Papa's hand, I gazed at the old breaded chained man. "And if you have not heard, an injured, feverish individual can recognize a voice of a loved one. Why else do you think he calls out for his lost sister?" The Maester huffed as another chuckled, saying, "well said, my Lady, but I believe the Maester is suggesting that you reside elsewhere as you allow him to tend to your father."