A Divided House

Since that first morning, I would often wake up an hour before sunrise and prepare myself for the day before walking through the still, silent corridors to Rickon's chambers to wake him. I often avoided his waving arms the first few times as I attempted to wake him up. Other times Shadow and I often found ourselves in a stare-off with Shaggydog. Still, every morning would end with him dressed in clean clothes before I led him downstairs to the Great Hall with his hand clutching mine. Upon arriving, I would sit Rickon beside Arya, whom I would level a simple look to behave at, only to receive a sigh but a nod. I walked around the table to sit in Mother's chair beside Robb, who had taken up sitting in Father's chair if he were off with the King, as Maester Luwin or Steward Poole would advise us of our daily duties. When we all had eaten, Maester Luwin would take Rickon by the hand and head off to his lessons, leaving me with Robb, Jon, Theon, Sansa, and Arya.

With a quick excuse to Robb, who was still not speaking to me, I would lead Sansa and Arya off to their lessons before picking up a tray from the kitchen to take to Mother. That often resulted in silence as I kissed her temple, only to remove the partially eaten dish from the previous night. Bringing that back to the kitchen, I would then speak with the various heads of the household to see if they required anything before taking my list of concerns to Robb or Father if he were available. If it were Robb, who seemed to be in the constant company of Theon, I would just lay a piece of parchment in front of him before turning around and leaving as Theon whispered of my blatant disrespect for Robb. I often ignored him, but after hearing it for nearly two weeks, I just stopped and glared at the ward of Winterfell. "You are not the Lord of Winterfell, Theon Greyjoy, so the only individual being disrespected here is me with your constant mumblings!" He blinked as I yelled, "I swear by the Old Gods if the next thing you say is, "Robb is," I will happily remind you for that to happen, my Father, your current Lord, will have to die for that to come to fruition. And afterward, I will hit you upside the head with your sword," before stomping out of the room.

Ignoring everyone, I passed; I practically sprinted out of the castle before running through the courtyard to the Godswood, stopping before the Heart Tree. Ignoring the dirt staining the hemline of my gown, I slowly walked over to sit down on the stone before the tree. I stared at the face carved into the white bark as the red sap of the tree dripped down from the carving, only to close my eyes as I whispered, "please, show me the path I must take to mend the division that has forged between Robb and me." While I sat there, I listened to the red leaves rustle above me while the water in the pond behind me beat against the shoreline as a crow cawed in the distance until I heard, "have the Old Gods answered your prayers?" Slowly turning my head, I blinked upon seeing Jon standing to my left as I shook my head no. With a deep breath, he walked over and sat beside me as I pulled my legs up to my chest, only to wrap my arms around them. "Why are you out here, Ilyanna?"

"You know why." He sighed and said, "Robb knows." With a nod, I laid my chin against my knees as I whispered, "he found out the day Bran fell. While we spoke, I asked him not to forsake you because of my feelings." Sighing, he said, "but he has forsaken you." Rather than waiting for an answer, he asked, "is that why you are taking on so much? In hopes that you can avoid him?" Shaking my head, no, I softly said, "I took on the extra duties to give him time to understand, but instead, I find myself being ignored by him while Greyjoy whispers in his ear that I am disrespectful." I slowly glanced at Jon, who clenched his hands so tightly that his knuckles were white. Reaching out, I placed my hand on his. Surprised, he glanced at me as I offered a small smile. "Do not worry about it, Jon. Robb cannot stay mad at me forever." He nodded and patted my hand only to ask, "will you be here long?" Sighing, I glanced at the Heart Tree for a moment before saying, "a few minutes more," only to feel his hand slip from mine before feeling something heavy fall around my shoulders. Blinking, I glanced down to find that he had placed his cloak about my shoulders only to lightly kiss my forehead before saying, "do not stay out here too long, She-Wolf."Nodding that I would not, I watched him walk away before glancing at the tree as I tugged his cloak about me.