Warning of Winters Arrival

I tried to determine the writer when someone knocked. Startled out of my reverie, I called for them to enter and found Lehna observing me. Setting the message aside, I asked, "what is it?" She breathed in and uttered, "the King wishes to have a feast this evening for the champions of the Hands Tournament." I observed her and slowly turned my gaze to the floral noose I was gifted. "And I am expected to attend because I am the Queen of Love and Beauty." She provided a nod as I sighed. "Very well." Breathing out, I glanced at her and asked, "could you remove my ivory and blue gown with golden accents from my trunk? It should pair well with my new accessory." With a curtsey, she turned to retrieve the garment as I stood and moved toward my vanity to locate jewels that would pair well with the attire.

Once dressed and wearing the floral crown, I exited my room to find Father waiting for a sullen Sansa. With a breath, I lifted my chin gently, smoothing out my gown's robin blue embroidered over the bodice and skirt. "You look beautiful, my darling girl." I offered Father a smile as I anxiously adjusted the placement of the cuffs of my white undergown. "You do not think it is too plain?" Shaking his head, he approached and cupped my cheek, forcing my wavy loose hair to brush against the slightly pin-tucked dropped shoulders of my white undergown. "It compliments you well." Smiling, I swiftly hugged him. He wrapped his arms around my waist as my volumize gown brushed over the top of his boots. Sighing, I whispered, "I do not want to do this." He hummed and pulled back. "Neither do I." Sharing an amused smile, I released him and offered my compliments to Sansa upon seeing the lilac purple gown she wore. With a bright smile, she strode past us and exited the Tower of the Hand. Sharing a glance with Father, we followed as I wished for the evening to go quickly.

Like the evening before, we sat with the royal family while court members danced, feasted, and discussed politics. Breathing in and out, I asked Father if it would be acceptable for me to retire when I heard, "Kingslayer, where is your Queen?" With another breath, I pushed my chair back and clearly uttered, "I am here, my King." He shifted his head to observe me before motioning for me to come forward. I glanced at Father, who reluctantly nodded before leaving the table to stand before the King beside Lannister.

Settled, I curtsied to Robert while Lannister bowed when he asked, "my wife, the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, believes I should revoke the Kingslayer's decision to name you, Ilyanna Stark, as Queen of Love and Beauty of the tournament of my appointed Hand, your Father." I lowered my gaze and observed my clasped hands. "As you said, your Grace, it is your decision. You may command your champion to revoke his decision, your Grace." He hummed as I heard him awkwardly shuffle in his chair. "Though you have noted, the tournament held in honor of my Father, Lord Eddard Stark, the Hand of the King. Would it not cause an issue if you revoked the gracious gift your brother-by-law gave to your Hand's eldest daughter?" I lifted my gaze to see Queen Cersei sneering as Robert provided an amused smile. "If her Grace desires to have her brother, a member of your Kingsguard, appoint a different lady to where the crown he presented onto me, I will gladly accept her request."

I felt the court's gaze as I raised my arms to remove the floral crown from my head when he uttered, "if she should be forced to return the floral crown, the gesture would dishonor House Lannister, House Stark, and yourself, your Grace." Lowered my arms, I anxiously clasped my hands before me as Robert glanced at Lannister. "Dishonor?" He nodded. "As the Lady mentioned, she was named to honor the tournament held for her Father, Lord Eddard Stark. To request the return of the crown would suggest that I think poorly of the Lady and her house." The King was silent until his wife uttered, "dear brother, while the King is grateful for your support in honoring the Lady and her house. Perhaps you should have found another way to honor her instead of gifting her the crown you promised your niece, Princess Myrcella." Lannister breathed out as he clenched his fists close. "I apologize, I wasn't aware..." only to be hushed by Lannister saying, "the Princess and I discussed the matter before my win against our Father's vessel. She advised that she wished me to honor one of Lord Stark's daughters with the title as this would be attending their first tournament."

The Queen breathed intensely, clearly frustrated by his response, as Robert laughed, amused. "Myrcella asked this of you?" Lannister smirked and nodded yes as I dug my fingernails into the back of my hand. "She heard the tale of the last tournament House Stark attended and wished they had a pleasant memory. I told her that if I won, I would honor one of them by naming them my Queen. She asked me not to choose Prince Joffrey's intention, fearing that I may overshadow him, and thought Lady Ilyanna would be receptive." Breathing out, I calmly uttered, "thank you, Ser Jaime, for the honor of being named Queen of Love and Beauty. Would you please extend my thanks to the Princess for this kind gesture?" He nodded and took hold of my hand. The court and I watched him kiss my knuckles before he said, "of course, for there is nothing I will not do for love." Hearing those words, I forced myself to breathe in and out as I removed my hand from his hold. Turning, I curtsied to their Graces and began to walk back to my seat when a Lord from the Reach approached me. "Would you care for a dance, my Lady?" Nodding, I placed my hand in his and allowed him to lead me to the dance floor.

After that humiliating interaction, I spent most of my evening avoiding interacting with House Lannister or the Kingsguard members. Instead, I enjoy the attention of suitable heirs from assembled lords, asking them about their homes and partaking in several dances. Spinning with the crowd, I took hold of a young lord's hand and moved to execute the next step when I felt a gentle touch. Turning my head, I offered a kind smile to Ser Barristan. "Do you dance, Lord Commander?" He laughed at the beginning of a slow song and eased me into following him in uncomplicated steps. "It has been some time, so I ask you not to judge me harshly." "You will find no judgment from me."

Smiling, we continued to move as the assembled began to whisper. "I wanted to tell you that you handled yourself admirably." Breathing out, I uttered, "thank you." His smile flattered as I asked, "what is it?" Breathing out, he spun me and pulled me back, saying, "be cautious of the Queen and her brother. I can do little to keep her from causing you pain, but I will endeavor to keep him from trying." I nodded. "Do you believe I and, by extension, my family is in danger?" He sighed. "I want to say you will be safe, but we both know our world is not. Be cautious, my Lady." I nodded that I would. "Ser, can I ask if you have ever heard Lannister say, "the things I do for love," about a lady of the court?" He gazed at me and shook his head no before saying, "I have not, but I had heard him utter something similar regarding his sister, the Queen, when their Father was Hand to the late King." Fearful of his response's implications, I politely thanked him as we resumed our dance.

Eventually, we retired for the evening once the court became excessively intoxicated. Entering the Tower of the Hand, I wished an exhausted Sansa good night before kissing Papa's cheek. "Rest well, my darling girl." Smiling, I uttered, "rest well, Papa." Slipping away, I continued to my room to find Lehna tending to the fire. Entering, I crossed over to my vanity and began to remove my jewelry as she finished her task before approaching me. "Was this evening well?" I glanced at her as she loosened the closures of my gown. "Well enough." She hummed as the two of us worked to release me from my dress and accessories. Free of the garment, I turned and slipped on a simple sleeping gown of pale dove-gray fabric. Dressed, I sat at my writing desk and gathered a piece of parchment. Uncapping my inkwell, I dipped the tip of my quill into it and began to write my reply.

Partway through my response, Lehna asked, "do you require anything before you retire, my Lady?" I shook my head as I glanced over my shoulder to find she had turned down the bed. "I will just finish my replies to my brothers before retiring. She nodded as I laid my quill aside and uttered, "thank you for your assistance this evening. Please rest well, Lehna." With a small smile, she curtsied and left as I returned to writing my letters.

I finished signing my name a few moments later. Relieved that I had cautioned Robb from making a quick decision with limited knowledge and reassured Jon that he would not be alone. Before folding them up, I doused each letter with a smothering of sand to stop the ink from bleeding. Removing a piece of grey wax, a metal spoon, a short knife, and my personalized Stark seal from my desk. Cutting a piece of wax, I laid it within the scoop and held it over the candle's open flame. Once confident the wax had melted, I removed it from the open flame and poured a portion onto the folded letters. Setting the spoon aside, I lifted my sigil seal and stamped down on the liquid wax. Holding it briefly, I slowly pulled the stamp free before the wax could harden around it. Satisfied, I put my stationary items away and tucked the letters I wrote into my small jewelry chest. Tucking their responses into the pages of my books, I blew out the lite candles and slipped between the folds of my blankets. Laying down, I closed my eyes and hoped tomorrow would be easier.