A Talk with the Kingslayer

Eventually, my tears ceased, and I remained sitting upon the stonewall until the sun had nearly reached midday contemplating how I came to be in this city and our current position. When I could not find an answer other than I had no choice, I glanced to my left and noticed an assortment of children playing in the bay that butted up against the lower portion of Aegon's Hill. Wondering if the water was as clear blue as it appeared, I turned my attention to finding a way down when I heard, "it's dangerous for a young lady to be outside without a companion."

Breathing in and out, I slid from the stonewall and observed the amused Kingslayer. "Am I alone if you are here?" Before he could reply, I walked past him and into the slightly wooded area. I heard his booted footsteps trail after me as I descended the hill. "You do know you have the entire Keep in an uproar." Shrugging, I pushed some foliage away and smiled at the calm water lapping against the untouched sandy shoreline. "You mean I have upset my Father and Septa, considering my sister drove me to escape from their company without a guard to accompany me."

He didn't answer as I stopped just shy of the shoreline before pulling the skirts of my gown and under-shift upwards so I could remove my stockings, garters, and shoes. Free of the satin garments, I laid them beside me before moving to unlace my dress when he asked, "what are you doing?" Looking over my shoulder, I uttered, "I am going to step into the bay for a moment before returning to my family." Blinking, he watched me momentarily before saying, "just lift your skirts and stand on the shore so I can return you to your guards, and I can return to my duties." I halted and stared at his back. "How did you know where to find me?" He uttered with the rise and fall of his shoulders, "I used to come when I was a boy. Now dip your feet in the water, and let's be going." Lacing the loose portion of my bodice, I lifted my skirts and hurried to the shoreline. I stood there perfectly still and watched the tide pull away to reveal wet sand before wafting back toward me. Anticipating warmth, I gasped, surprised, when fridge water danced along my pale feet. "What is it?" Hurrying backward from the advancing swell, I chattered, "it's freezing," only to hear him laugh. Spinning around, I dropped my skirts to cover my pale appendages and spat, "it's not funny!" He kept laughing as he uttered, "what were you expecting?" I stomped toward him with a huff, saying, "I had expected it to be slightly warm, much like the hot springs at..." My words drifted away as he stared down at me. "Just because you're in the South does not mean it's always warm."

Annoyed, I returned to where I had left my stockings, garters, and shoes. Gathering my skirt under me, I sat down and brushed the sand from the bottom of my right foot. "Why did you flee the safety of your tower?" Lifting my gaze, I found Lannister standing before me but facing the bay. "I required solitude to think." He bowed his head as I tied my garter below my right knee. "Did your solitude provide you with a solution?" With my shoe covering my right, I focused on my left leg. "It reinforced the idea that my parents should have gifted me more brothers." He chuckled as I finished slipping my shoe onto my left foot. "So it is your sisters that drove you outside." Breathing out, I stood and began to brush myself off. "Not that it's any of your business, but yes." Free of dirt and sand, I turned to walk back up to the overlook when someone took hold of my wrist. Stopping, I glanced at his right golden calloused hand resting above my pale hand before looking up at him. "What happened?"

Surprised by his interest, I uttered, "it's silly. I should not have allowed her mocking question regarding a betrothal contract for me to send me fleeing like an upset child." His hold tightened before I could slip free. Cautious, I turned to ask him to release me when he uttered, "who sent these proposals?" Breathing out, I coldly spoke, "why does it matter to you? You have no reason to care. You made your decision when you allowed the white cloak to fall upon your shoulders." Pulling free of his hold, I climbed the hill, saying, "if you would excuse me, I believe I will return to my family now." I had nearly creased the top of the hill when he said, "your Father does not know the lords of the south, and I will not..."

Stopping before the stairs leading upwards, I breathed in and out. Turning around, I glanced down to find him in the process of coming after me. "Why does it matter to you whom I may or may not wed? You are a member of the Kingsguard. Your vow forbids you from taking a wife, fathering children, or inheriting your family's land." He sprinted upwards toward me, forcing me to lift my gaze to find him staring down at me. "They do not dissever you." Tilting my head, I tried to find dishonesty in his gaze but only found a simmering rage.

"This is not your choice to make, Ser." Turning, I moved to step onto the stone steps when he uttered, "they will destroy you just as they destroyed your aunt." Halting, I spoke, "I am not my aunt," before glancing at him. "Thank you for caring, but your input on whom my future husband will be is unnecessary. I ask that you leave the decision of my future to my Father. As for the request to present you with my favor during the tourney to honor my Father's appointment to Hand of the King, I cannot present it to you. May your future be as bright as I hope mine will be." With that, I hurried up the stone steps to return to the Tower of the Hand, hoping to escape his heated gaze.

I entered the garden beneath the Tower of the Hand to find Jory approaching me. Frustrated, I remained where I was only to hear, "Lady Ilyanna, your Father...." I sadly uttered, "he is upset with me and would like to speak with me regarding my actions from this morning once he has returned to the Tower." He nodded as I plopped down beneath an enormous oak tree. Seated beneath the green leaves, I leaned against the rough bark and muttered, "I want to apologize, but I can't." He sighed and sat beside me as I felt a new batch of tears slip from my eyes. "He informed me of what your sister said." Closing my eyes, I moodily uttered, "I do not understand where this anger within Sansa is coming from." He breathed in and out before saying, "perhaps it is not anger." I lowered my chin to gaze at him when I heard, "good day, my Lady. I do hope I am not interrupting." Shifting my gaze, I blinked upon finding Lord Varys, the Master of Whispers, silently observing us. "Hello, Lord Varys. I apologize, but if you are here to speak with my Father, my Lord. I am sorry, but I do not know if he is currently occupied with the company of another lord." The bald man slowly approached us, uttering, "it is not his company I have sought out on this day."

Confused, I sat up as Jory stood and laid his hand upon the pommel of his sword. "Who's company do you seek, my Lord?" With a faint and awkward smile, he uttered, "I have heard your Father, Lord Stark, has received some prominent requests regarding your prospects." Concerned by his knowledge of my unnamed proposal, I heard Jory shift while I uttered, "prospects? What prospects would you be referring to, my Lord?" He nodded. "While uncommon for the Small Council to discuss the courtship or possible courtship of the King's Hand, yours seems to have interested a few members." "Few or all members?" He breathed out and uttered, "the primary individuals concerned are Lord Renly and Lord Baelish." Much like my step into the water of Blackwater Bay, a shiver ran through me. "Are you well, my Lady?"

Blinking, I shakingly said, "I have yet to discuss the prospects my Father received, and your admission merely surprised me." Humming, I moved to stand when Jory held his hand out to me. Grateful, I placed my right hand on his left and allowed him to pull me to my feet. Standing, I brushed myself down as Varys asked, "do they not suit your taste?" Sighing, I replied, "as you know, my Lord, my family and I have yet to be in the capital for over a month. Within that time, I doubt my Father has put much thought into marriages for my youngest sister or me."

Stopping, I eyed Varys as he gave a faint smile. "He said the same while in council." Nodding, I murmured, "and he should not have to think of such things when he has to assist our King in ruling the realm in a peaceful, successful manner. Until such time his duties allow him to think on the matter, I suggest you advise your fellow council members that they stay on task during your meetings. He offered a bow as I turned to excuse myself when I spied Father approaching with Lord Renly. "My lady?" Looking away from them, I curtsied to both men and uttered, "do you excuse me, but I have been outside for some time, and I feel that I should retire for the rest of the day." Before either of them could respond, I turned and sprinted into the Tower of the Hand.