An Unwelcome Arrival to King's Landing

After a month of traveling the Kingsroad, we pulled up to the gate outside of Kings Landing. Observing the vast Red Keep and the surrounding builds, I sadly uttered, "we are here," as Arya took hold of my hand. Straightening my poster, I felt the wagon lurch forward as Father led us through the Dragon Gate while I squeezed Arya's hand in thanks. Breathing out, I turned my nose upwards at the overproduced scent of filth. "Does it always smell like this?" I muttered, "I hope not," as Poole called for people gaping at us to move out of the way. Ignoring their gaping gazes, I sighed, relieved as we drove beneath a secondary gate separating the Red Keep from the cramped streets of Kings Landing.

Entering the courtyard, I glanced up to find a man dressed in a black tunic, white shirt, black trousers, and boots walking toward us. Father pulled his stallion to a stop and dismounted as the man bowed. "Welcome, Lord Stark." Father nodded as his men glanced at us before uttering, "Grand Maester Pycelle has called a meeting of the Small Council." Biting down on my lip, I dismounted from the wagon as Father stroked his stallion's neck. "The honor of your presence is requested." With a nod, he glanced toward Jory. "Get the girls settled in. I'll be back in time for supper." With a nod, Jory turned to start directing folks when Father uttered, "and, Jory." Jory and I glanced at him as he said, "you go with them."

Nodding, he spoke, "yes, my Lord." I glided over as the man uttered, "if you'd like to change into something more appropriate," drawing a giggle from Arya. Father arched an eyebrow as I looked him over, noticing his boots and trousers stained with mud. "Thank you for the recommendation. However, we have been on the road for a month, and if the Small Council requires the Hand of the King immediately, it would not be wise for them to wait for him to find and change into a clean doublet." The man stared at me as Father kissed my temple before walking past him to enter the Red Keep. Breathing out, I turned away from the surprised man and glanced at those who came with us. "Shall we begin?" Poole nodded and directed the waiting servants to where it should be taken.

Within ten minutes, the servants had unloaded our things and began to bring them up to the rooms we would occupy within the Tower of the Hand. I turned to follow some servants into my chambers and found two women roughly around my age of seven and ten years old wearing matching peach flowing gowns. Observing the two women, I noticed that both had blue eyes, but one had hair color similar to mine while the other had a dark brown hair color. They both curtsied and uttered, "my Lady." Confused by their appearance, I asked, "may I ask why you are here?" They stood out of their curtsy as the brown hair woman softly said, "we have been appointed to serve as your handmaidens." Breathing out, I fought against screaming when I uttered, "by who?" They glanced at each other as the redhead said, "the King appointed us upon the recommendation of the Queen and her brother Ser Jaime Lannister." Releasing a frustrating hum, I uttered, "so kind of them to think of me."

They shuffled their weight awkwardly upon hearing me. Lifting my gaze, I kindly uttered, "I apologize for my lack of enthusiasm. We have been traveling for some time, and I did not anticipate receiving handmaidens upon our arrival." Both offered tentative smiles. "I am Ilyanna Stark. The eldest daughter of Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North, and Hand to King Robert" before curtsying to both of them. Upon standing, I nearly laughed at their shocked expressions. "I'm Taira Hill, my Lady," uttered the redhead. Nodding hello, I shifted my gaze to the dark-haired woman as she spoke, "Lehna Snow." Breathing out, I offered a tentative smile to each of them before saying, "it is an honor to make your acquittance. Would you mind assisting me in unpacking my things after I have spoken to my Father's guard captain?" With nods, they entered my new chambers as I stepped out to locate Jory.

With Jory's presence, Lehna, Taria, and I concluded my unpacking within half an hour. Grateful, I laid the comb on my new vanity's tabletop when Lehan asked, "do you require any further assistance, Lady Ilyanna?" Standing, I turned to respond when a man dressed in a Baratheon/Lannister livery appeared in my room's doorway. "Why are you here?" The man glanced at Jory as I turned to face him. "I was tasked to deliver these to Lady Stark upon her arrival." Confused, I glanced at the vase of pale blue Winter Roses he carried. "If you were tasked to present them to her upon arrival, then why did you not do so in the courtyard?" The young man blinked as I softly asked, "who tasked you to deliver them to me?"