A Stormy Prospect

With the first rays of sunlight, I opened my eyes to discover a silent Taria tending to the fire while an equally quiet Lehna opened the curtains to let in the morning light. "Do I have to ask if all is well?" They glanced at each other before resuming their tasks. Releasing a frustrated sigh, I sat up in bed. "Taria, you were right Ser Jaime did not take any unwanted liberties with my person last night." She halted and slowly glanced at me. "However, Lehna is corrected that there are men in this city that are not as considerate." She nodded as Lehna stepped away from the window.

"I understand that you wish to see the best in the individuals around us, but sometimes we must be suspicious of their intentions. I believe that was what Lehna intended to advise us of." "You are right, Lady Ilyanna. I did not mean to suggest that Ser Jaime would be uncourteous to you, only that you should be aware that some men may try. I do not wish for you or Taria to experience the same fear and misfortunate I sadly encountered when I arrived in Kings Landing." Slipping free of my blankets, I approached and uttered, "and I wish for both of you to be honest with me during my stay. If either of you feel I have overlooked a threat to my person, I wish you to tell me." Both nodded as I smiled. "Thank you, now, if that is all I will simply return to..." before I could slip back beneath my warm blankets, Taria grasped my wrist while Lehna touched my shoulder. "It's time to start the day." I groaned and glanced at them as Taria uttered, "you can retire to bed after supper." Huffing, I allowed them to lead me to my vanity to begin my day.

Sometime later, they assisted me in dressing in an undergown of cream satin fabric detailed with a pale rose embroidery lining along the edge of the heart-shaped neckline and down the length of the fitted sleeves. I smoothed down the front of the garment as Taria approached with a sheer overdress of the same pale rose as the embroidery. Slipping my arms into the open sleeves, I watched Lehna approach and adjust the fall so it could be clasping beneath my bust line. My arms fell to my sides while Taria fixed the placement of my hair. "Is this a gown you commissioned with the small allowance my Father gifted me?" Taria faltered before uttering, "when I discovered the fabric in the market, I thought it would compliment your features, my Lady." Humming, I brushed my hand over the inversed embroidery she stitched into the sheer overlaying gown.

"It's beautiful, Tara, and you have truly outdone yourself." She turned pink embarrassed. "It was nothing." Turning, I reached out and grasped her hands. "You are talented, and I am grateful to wear such a gown." Nodding, I released her hands and glanced at a solemn Lehna before saying, "I thank the both of you for your companionship and forethought of looking after me." Neither said a thing as I gathered the letters I had written the previous evening. "I do not know what I would do without either of you." I left my room to join my family for the day's first meal.

I entered the dining room to discover Septa groaning while Sansa delicately ate her meal, and Arya tried to engage Father in a conversation regarding her "dancing" lessons. Father nodded while he read over a piece of parchment. Stepping forward, I uttered, "morning." They lifted their gazes, and with a few murmurers, I sat across from Father. Laying my letters to my right, I gathered my meal portion. "Ilya, do you want to watch my dance lesson?" I glanced at Arya only to hear, "no one wants to watch your stupid dance lessons." Arya's features darkened at Sansa's words. Fearing an early shouting match between them, I kindly uttered, "I have some letters I have to post, but I can view your lessons after." She smirked at an annoyed Sansa. "It would have to be much later, Lady Stark."

Confused, I glanced at Septa as Father peered over the top of his parchment. "What do you mean?" She tilted her head and uttered, "you must spend time with the suitors that have asked for your hand in marriage to see who will be an acceptable husband." Surprised, I glanced at Father. "You said that you received several requests." He nodded yes. "How am I expected to visit with all of them before they leave the capital?" He opened his mouth to reply when Septa coldly uttered, "they will come to you. After your introduction, you will be expected to spend a few moments with each of them." Annoyed, I spoke, "so I am to be paraded and gawked at like one will view a horse they wish to purchase?" Septa gasped, outraged, as Arya attempted to smother her laughter.