A Month South of Winterfell

The first month we resided in Kings Landing often began with me waking up in my vast feather bed to either one or both of my handmaidens. With bright smiles, Taria would usher me from my bed, allowing Lehna to make it before the two of them assisted in dressing for the day. Dressed, I would softly argue with Taria against weaving my auburn red locks into a simpler version of the Southern hairstyle favored by the Queen and into a style that mixed elements of the North and Riverlands. Prepared, I would then leave my room and join my family for the day's first meal.

Some days Father would ask us about our plan for the day, ask my opinion on a matter he discussed in the Small Council, or we would eat in silence. At the end of the meal, Septa would escort my sisters to an adjoining room for their lessons, leaving me in the company of my handmaidens. If the weather were good, I, accompanied by my handmaidens and guards, would tour the gardens within the enclosed wall of the Red Keeps of the gardens near the Tower of the Hand. Frustrated that I could not find a moment to be alone, I alternated may days with riding, archery, and walking with some trips into the city. Before dusk had fallen, I would return to the Tower of the Hand to dine with my family. There we would sup, and afterward, I would sit with my sisters and Septa to tend to some mending or reading a book. Father would sometimes join us after concluding his day, and we would discuss what occurred in our activities. When I could not endure Sansa's increasingly snobbish attitude, I would retire to my room to write to my remaining siblings at Winterfell or Jon at the Wall.

But when the weather turned sour, I learned more about my handmaidens as we retired to a small sitting room adjacent to my bedchambers. I discovered Taria was originally from Lannisport, whereas Lehna ventured from Cerwyn. Where Lehna was reserved, Taria was talkative yet understood to restrain herself when the moment required silence. Both seemed sincere in their commitment to me, but Lehna seemed excessively protective when men of the court noticed me, whereas Taria would effortlessly turn their attentions elsewhere. Afterward the unfortunate encounters, we would continue with what I had planned for the day.

On a seemingly quiet day, I retired to my room early after supper when I found another vase of Winter Roses residing on the fireplace's mantle. While not unusual, I tried to recall if this was the same vase Lehna arrived with this morning. However, before I could investigate, the door to my room opened suddenly to reveal an excited and interjected Arya. "Ilya, you will never guess what Father just did?" Amused by her excitement, I asked, "did he get you a pony?" She shook her head no as she bounced on her toes. "Did he buy you a stationary set?" I watched her pout begin to drop as I tried to guess what Papa could have acquired, except for the sword master from Braavos he introduced me to days ago. Eventually, she became so frustrated with me that she said, "Ilyanna, he brought me a dancing instructor!"

Curious, I asked, "but you hate dancing. Why would Father...." Interrupting, she uttered, "he's teaching me how to water dance!" I opened my mouth to ask what water dancing was when she spied the flowers on my mantle. "Is that a new vase?" Confused, I uttered, "I do not think so. Why do you think it's new?" Looking back at me, she spoke, "you had a vase near your desk this morning when I came by before my lessons with Septa, but now it's gone, and another vase is there." True, I turned to look at my desk, and the vase had vanished. Surprised, I opened my mouth to speak she suddenly said, "come, you must meet Syrio!" Before I could calmly tell her, I met Senior Syrio. She took my hand and pulled me from the room, eagerly talking about her lessons, successfully distracting me from the vase of roses.

The following morning, I woke to the door handle beginning to shake. Terrified at the prospect that an intruder had gotten past the guards Jory posted, I began to blindly reach for the dagger I tucked beneath my pillows only to see a familiar pinkish-orange gown reflecting at me from the looking glass resting on my vanity. Relieved, I removed my hand from beneath my pillows and watched an elated Taria enter, holding a vase of Winter Roses. Silently, I watched her place the vase on a small table before turning to gather the vase from yesterday when I uttered, "morning Taria." She yelped and spun, dropping the vase. With a crash, I offered a sad smile before saying, "I apologize. I did not mean to frighten you," as I slipped from the bed to guide her away from the splinters of the shattered vase.