Chapter 3: The Sky

Lorena sauntered into Signora Pallas's office with just one mission in mind. She needed to know she was not the only one feeling like her father was crossing the line now. She knocked on the door and pushed it open without waiting for a response.

"Lorena?" Signora Pallas said raising her head off and shifting her reading glasses in place.

Lorena sighed heavily and sat on the seat across from Signora Pallas. "I'm exhausted!" She announced, her hands finding their way to her forehead. "Tired."

"What is it darling?" She asked, shifting the document she was working on to the side. "Is it the kids?"

Lorena's eyes widened, and she sat up quickly. It felt like an offense to her person for anyone to even think she would ever be frustrated with the kids. Not when they were the only people keeping her sane right now. "Of course not," She waved it aside. "It's my father. It's always my father." She felt a twisted pain in her chest, at the sound of his name coming from her lips.

"What has he done this time." She finally took off the glasses and cleared her throat. There was never a time she had heard any good news when Signor Cicero was mentioned. Not when her dearest friend was alive, and not even from his children.

"You know helping hands right?"

She nodded. "The foundation dearest to your mother's heart. She left it in control of the woman managing it then, didn't she?"

"Exactly, that one. Dad wants to destroy it." She said with gritted teeth.

"What?" Her brows lifted, a quick frown enveloping her face.

"He told Verona to tell him my whereabouts, or he'll destroy the foundation."

"No way!" Signora Pallas's voice rose, her toe curled beneath. "Who does he think he is? How can he go after that, knowing fully well how much it meant to your mother?" Her eyes burned with anger. Her nose flared, and wrinkled lines fell across her forehead.

Lorena was taken aback for a moment. She had never seen the woman react this angrily before. Not even when she had been informed about her mother's death. No, a single tear had fallen, and she had taken herself into her car and drove off. She was the kind of woman that hated her emotions being on display. She always said people want to know how you react, so they'll know the ways to poke you.

"It's what I said to her too. Father is going too far this time. Way too far." She mirrored the anger in the older woman's eyes. Till that moment, she had never really hated her father. Sure he disgusted her. He irritated her beyond words, and most importantly, she feared him. However, this was the first time in her life she hated him. A deep seethed hate, burned from the depth of her being, threatening to consume her.

"I think it's time I handle him myself." She suddenly announced, causing a quick jerk reaction from Lorena.

"Huh?" Her eyes widened.

"You heard me. Your mum, bless her heart, knew how to shield him from you girls. She could not save herself from his verbal abuse, but she tried her best to shield you girls from the monster he was. He tried so hard to keep me away from her, because, I was a virus ready to corrupt her," She paused and sniffled. Her voice was thick with tears now. It had been so many years already, but the death of her dearest friend still was an open wound in her heart. She was beginning to realize it was because she had failed to do the thing she asked her to do. "Before your mother died, she came to me. Looking back, I think she knew her time was near. It was strange, but she wanted me to look after you girls. She wanted me to do everything in my power to protect you. But look at this mess now. I've failed woefully." She cried into her hands. She was a big believer in shielding your emotions, but all the pent-up frustration had caught up with her.