Chapter 42: The Goodnews

The sun started losing its spark as a gentle breeze announced the unset of the evening. A Lexus drove to an intersection, stopping where another car parked, blocking the road.

The man in the Lexus stepped down and hurried over to the parked car. Without the slightest bit of hesitation, he pulled the passenger door open and slammed it shut.

"You plan on destroying my car?" Hermes rolled his eyes, his hands casually resting on the steering.

"Why'd you block the road, bro?" Jorginho ignoring his question, pulled the review mirror closer to his face.

Hermes' face scrunched as he stared at Jorginho, fixing his face like they were en route for a model casting. "What, you don't have mirrors in your house or car?"

He hissed and gently pushed back the mirror to its proper position. He turned to face Hermes, a frown on his face. "Hop off my dick, bro. Why are you being so mean to me?" He said, pouting.

"You're so..." He muttered between his teeth.

"So what?" He tilted his head to the side, his brow lifting too.

"Nevermind," Hermes said, shaking his head.

They stared into space for a while, each diving into their head. The thoughts running through their mind wasn't that different. It was a specific thing that each wanted the other to say first.

Something they didn't want to admit out of loyalty for someone they considered a brother. Jorginho sighed, breaking the ice first. He was never really the type to thrive in prolonged silence.

"We can't keep begging her to stay, can we?" His voice came out tired and stressed.

"Nah, it's unfair to her. It's been two months, bro."

"Two months. It feels like just yesterday he sent the voice note. Still can't believe he chose that over her." He said, rubbing his neck.

"I'm not surprised, though."

"You're not?" He turned his head to look at his friend. His brow snapped together, wondering where Hermes was going with that statement.

"Yes."

"Explain." He said his lip pursing.

"It's something he has dreamt of since he was a boy. Remember how he'll spend hours just discussing that project? I don't think there's anything in the world that would have stopped him from taking that deal."

Jorginho remained silent for a while, his head scrambling. Sure, he understood it was a lifelong dream, but it still didn't mean the execution wasn't poor. "That's his woman, bro. I get he had to leave, but two months without reaching out to her? I ain't defending that." He shook his head.

"I get the sentiments and agree he should have reached out. I still would give him the benefit of the doubt. It probably was too hard to say goodbye to her."

"Ghosting and a thirty-second voice note sent to your friends, not even your wife, was sure a fun way to announce you're going to Russia to fulfil a lifelong dream." He hissed, rolling his eyes.

Hermes smiled, recognising the sarcasm in his words. "I miss him too, bro." He said, clocking exactly why Jorginho was all bent out of shape. Markris was a lot of things. Hard-hearted, stone-cold, merciless, maybe even a psychopath, some would say, but there wasn't a better friend than him.

"Yeah, me too," He said, taking a deep breath. "Can we go see her now, before she leaves?"

"Sure." Hermes nodded, kick-starting the car.

It was completely sundown when they arrived at Markris gate. Just before Hermes honked to signal his presence, they heard a screech from the compound, followed shortly by loud feet.