Chapter 23: The Differences

"Your room?" She scrunched her face and scoffed. "Don't you mean our room?" She raised a perfect brow, the corner of her lip twitching. She felt a little dangerous, and the scowl on Markris's face made it all worthwhile.

"Our room? Is this some joke?" He looked around as if, at any moment, a camera crew would appear and yellow 'cut.'

"Now, why would I joke about something this serious?" She pouted, resting a finger on her chin. "Didn't you hear we're married? Isn't a wife supposed to stay in her husband's room?"

"Wife, Husband? What are you yapping about?" He threw his hands in the air. "Okay, let's even say our fathers are right, and we're married. Why do you have to stay in my room? Don't you have yours?"

"Oh, common Markris." She waved a dismissive finger.

"We're not kids now, are we? It is important for a wife and her husband to share a room." She said. She heard him inhale sharply and almost broke into a feat of laughter. She knew she was pushing it too far, but she couldn't help herself. This new Lorena was a pleasant discovery, and she wanted to see how far she could go.

"You know what?" He pointed a sore finger at her. "I'll just take all of these as a joke."

"Joke? If you don't believe me, you can check your wardrobe. I'm sure Tanika placed some of my bags there." She shrugged, tilting her head towards the closet.

Markris clenched his fist and took a deep breath, then another. She was goading him, pushing him to the wall. For some reason, she wanted to see him snap, and God knows he was this close to fulfilling her wishes.

"What game are you playing, Lorena? Do I look like a joke to you? Why the fuck would your father tell my father that you are carrying my child when I have never touched you? What kind of sick game is this, Lorena?" He glared at her.

"Well, techni-cally," She dragged her words between her teeth. "I didn't start that rumor. Alonso did."

"And why exactly would your manager start a rumor like that if you weren't they to cosign it?" He folded his hands and squinted, waiting to see how she would wiggle out of this one.

"Oh, who cares?" She smacked her lips and rolled her eyes. "We're married now. We can make babies for real." She bit her lips immediately after the words left her mouth. I'm a bid to come off as unaffected about this whole situation. She had gone too far. Judging by how Markris's mouth fell open, his eyes widening, she knew she had just dug a hole for herself. "I didn't mean..." She tried to explain, but her words trailed as he began to take steps towards her. "Markris?" Her body trembled as she moved back.

"What did you say?" He raised a brow, slowly advancing towards her. "You want to make babies?"

"No, I didn't mean it that way." She pushed her hand forward, gesturing for him to stop. He ignored her and moved with more determination. "Markris, stop." Her voice became thick and unsteady. She moved again, and her back hit the painting on the wall. Her heart began to thump loudly against her chest when she realized she was stuck, and in mere seconds, they would be breaths apart.

"Don't play coy now, Lorena," He moved, covering the space between them. "Isn't this what you want?" His long fingers stroked her cheeks, and she inhaled sharply.

"Isn't that why you were comfortable with people thinking you're carrying my baby?" His roaming fingers brushed against her lips, and she swallowed hard. Her breath had become harsh and uneven, her eyes glued to his face.

"Isn't that why you want to sleep in my room?" Her phone slipped from her hands and fell to the ground with a loud thud, but neither flinched.

"Isn't that why you're dressed like this?" His gaze lowered to her low-cut nightgown that stopped just beneath her thighs. The silky mesh was the biggest reason he had not lost his cool when she tried to poke him. How could he drag his eyes away from such means made to bring a man to his knees? And the fact that the most gorgeous, maddening woman was wearing it made it even more irresistible.