Chapter 39: The Sexiness

Lorena strode into the kitchen, her phone tucked in between her ears. "So you're going today, yeah?" She asked, walking to the fridge.

"My lady." Tanika mouthed on seeing her come in, and she nudged her head in acknowledgment.

"Yeah, Hermes said he'll drive me there. Honestly, he's been really sweet and supportive." She said, and Lorena could picture the smile on her face.

Hermes looked like a genuinely good guy, and she couldn't help but be happy for her friend. "So what are you too like? Lovers, or just friends?" She adjusted the phone so her shoulders served as support as her hands ransacked the fridge in search of a particular juice Markris wouldn't stop asking for.

"Honestly, we're just taking it one day at a time. Right now, we're more focused on meeting Isabe-" She paused, taking a deep breath. "I meant Helena, and seeing if she's, you know, really my baby." Her voice fizzled out into a breathless whisper.

"Don't beat yourself over this, Alma. I'm telling you, Helena is your child. When you eventually meet her, you'll see."

"If you say so." She sighed.

"Okay, so make sure you---"

A loud bang followed closely by loud voices suddenly cut off her words, and Lorena pulled herself out of the fridge, her eyes finding Tanika's. "What was that?" Ariana asked, hearing the noise too.

"That's exactly what I'm going to find out." She said, already halfway out of the kitchen. Tanika hurried behind her, wondering what the whole commotion was about.

Soon as they stepped into the living room, they saw a fuming Verona with Alonso beside her. Ferrari was right behind them, and judging from his demeanor, you could tell he had done his best to stop them. "Uhmm baby, let me call you back," Lorena said, ending the call.

"You! You---" Verona lunged forward, but Lorena was ready for her and easily jumped behind Tanika.

"What is it, Verona?" She said, using Tanika as a shield.

"How dare you ask me what the problem is?" Verona's chest rose and fell as she huffed in between breaths.

"I can see your phone is in your hands, so you have zero excuses as to why you've not taken my call. One minute, you ask me to come to take you from this house, and the next, you're begging me not to come," She took a big step forward, her legs sprawled apart like a predator sizing its prey.

"Then I heard from Alonso that you didn't RSVP for his event. Tell that bastard Markris to come out here and tell me why he is holding my sister hostage!" She screamed so loudly everyone shuddered.

Lorena's eyes widened as she held on to Tanika. She had never seen Verona this upset before, not even when she had been informed of her marriage to the duke.

"I can explain, V." She stuttered.

"I don't want to hear anything from you since you're being manipulated. You," She pointed at Tanika. "Go fetch that man for me. Tell him I'll march up there myself and read him to filth if he refuses to come out."

"My la--"

"The next words that come out from your mouth better be yes, my lady,"  She pointed a warning finger toward Tanika, and the poor girl quickly shut her mouth. "What are you waiting for?" She screamed again, and this time Lorena knew she had to step in.

First, she took a deep breath. Then she slid out from Tanika's back. "Sorella, I need you to calm down, so I can explain the situation to you."

"non voglio sentirlo, Lorena!"